PDA

View Full Version : 300zx Master Cylinder swap problem

docrice
02-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, I'm doing a full Z32 brake upgrade on my s14 and I ran into a problem. I went and got a new tokico master cylinder from nopi and when i got it the abs port (the 3rd port on the M/C) was plugged with a small allen-keyed screw. No big deal, except when i check it out it is a 5-sided allen screw :confused: . Problem is, i can't find anything that will work to remove this thing. There aren't any standard or metric sized hex keys that fit, and trying to use a flathead, etc. just tears at it...since its probably loctited in there, it needs something about right. Plus, advance auto and the nissan garage never saw such a thing. ANyone have experience with this? Know where to get a tool? My only idea was to pick up a set of extractor bits from snap on or sears, but thats a last resort idea. LMK if y ou have any ideas or have found a way to do it yourself, etc.

Brian

projectRDM
02-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Drill bit.

WeldingHank
02-10-2005, 01:01 PM
the extractors would probably work well.

Al_S14
02-10-2005, 05:28 PM
think all it is is a Torex bit bolt...sears should have them. dont drill it out its a pain in the ass . Harbor Freight tools have those bits real cheap too.

it's liek a tamper proof thing so that idiots that dont know waht they're donig wont fuck anything up :nono:

DJPimpFlex
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I used a reverse drill bit. Worked like a charm.

projectRDM
02-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I used a reverse drill bit. Worked like a charm.

As did I, that's why I mentioned it.

kazuo
02-11-2005, 02:20 AM
You have to either hammer in something to make it fit, drill bit, etc etc.

But don't the TOKICO MCs not have the brake line fitting behind the screw? I thought only NABCO cylinders had the fitting...

docrice
02-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. My dad is taking the M/C to the work and he's gonna have his machinist get it out for me. I have been told that it does not come with the fitting, but the guys at advance auto said that they sell an adapter (?). I'll have to look into that and report back to ya. Later

DJPimpFlex
02-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Yea I need one of those to. Does nissan dealers sell that small part. I havent really had time to look into it. I'm like 50% done with my brakes, but I just dont have that fitting, and I just havnet gotten arround to taking a dremel to my old master. If anyone knows where you can just buy one let me know.

thx247
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
There was someone on FA i think that had it...but I forget. You can cut it from the master or the slave cylinder return block.

docrice
02-12-2005, 03:00 PM
correction - advance auto does not sell anything like that (the guy that works there is a little off). I'm trying to find one in the nissan factory parts catalog but i honestly doubt i'll be able to....if i cant find something soon then its dremel time.

Jung918
02-12-2005, 07:43 PM
I went to my local nissan dealership and got the plug removed. I been to a brake store and they said that they do not sell that fitting. It has to be bought with the master cylinder. I dremeled the old one out. That was a pain in the ass to do. When I tried to install the fitting, it would just deform the fitting and it didn't install properly. You can always just buy a flare tool and flare the hard line. If you find a solution, let us know.

SirWarrior
02-13-2005, 12:14 AM
i read somewhere to use a drill bit to align the fitting.
google it, thats where i found it :P

Jung918
02-15-2005, 10:02 AM
any updates?

docrice
02-15-2005, 10:20 AM
My pops took it to work, he's going to have the same machinist cut apart the old M/C and press one of the fittings into the new one. I'm trying to have him cut out the other fitting so I have a spare. Has anyone tried to remove the fitting from the extension on the old MC that threads into the bottom (for the rear brake line)? I took it apart, but still no easy way to get it out. I'll see how it went and keep you updated though. I'm also gonna try to put up a install section for the z32 rear brakes.

brainfood
02-15-2005, 05:07 PM
http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm
mine didnt need it since i Have abs there are only 2 lines but hope this helps

Inland180
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
hammer in a six sided one into it and turn. Worked for me. Just dont hammer it in all crazy.

Jung918
02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
I just took mine to the nissan dealership and they had the tool to take it out.

docrice
02-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Ok the new fitting is in, although not as far in as the others....should be far enough, if not i'll go back and try to tap it a bit farther. Anyway, the only other problem i'm facing for now is trying to get the big nut off the axle. With an open diff (stupid 1 wheel spin), i dont know how to hold the damn axle still so i can break the nut loose. I'll find something i guess.

brokeAs240sx
02-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Ok the new fitting is in, although not as far in as the others....should be far enough, if not i'll go back and try to tap it a bit farther. Anyway, the only other problem i'm facing for now is trying to get the big nut off the axle. With an open diff (stupid 1 wheel spin), i dont know how to hold the damn axle still so i can break the nut loose. I'll find something i guess.

Removing axle nut:

http://www.sillbeer.com/5lugswap.php

importnut
04-12-2005, 12:05 AM

Try using your spare and putting the car back on the ground. Have someone hold the brake pedal down or something like that. Then you can crank away.

-Alex S.

mbmbmb23
04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
JB weld an old screwdriver/hex key/etc in there and unscrew it.

-m

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
04-13-2005, 01:05 AM
ok while were on z32 mastercyl. wats the differnce from the 2 companies that make the m/c tokico and the other company . i got the 91 calipers but wat size am i supposed to get its either 16 by 17 or 1 inch. which is more mushy or which do u guys prefer

NismoSilvia270R
04-13-2005, 12:09 PM
ok while were on z32 mastercyl. wats the differnce from the 2 companies that make the m/c tokico and the other company . i got the 91 calipers but wat size am i supposed to get its either 16 by 17 or 1 inch. which is more mushy or which do u guys prefer

i think its 17/16. thats what i have. others are 15/16 and 1. i havent used them, but logically, it takes less foot pressure with 17/16 to stop than 1.

ill wait with you for someone with actual experience and preference to reply.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
04-13-2005, 03:56 PM
sorry this is real offtopic now but i dont want one were if u touch it it juss stops or skids the tire,

importnut
04-14-2005, 10:16 AM
sorry this is real offtopic now but i dont want one were if u touch it it juss stops or skids the tire,

15/16" MC was used on non-ABS Z32's. If I remember correctly, the non-ABS Z32 was never sold in the states. So, the 1" and 17/16" should be the only versions available.

The 1" is still a nice improvement over stock, and will be easier on your leg. The 17/16" will give you the best feel but will take more effort.

You'll find that it takes quite abit more effort to lock up the tires unless you just pounce on the pedal. Once I swapped in some really good pads, I really like the way the car stops. Solid pedal feel, good control, etc.

s14kozenki
04-13-2009, 01:45 AM
I purchased a 300zx middle fitting adapter on eBay for $10. This thing basically screws into the tokico m/c and has an inverted flare fitting so you can just stick your stock line right in. I think it's worth it instead of cutting up my old MC to use one little fitting, saves time and mainly I can at least try to sell my old MC now. PLUS you can do this while your old mc is on the car which would in the end cut car downtime I believe.

by the way, I know this thread is 3 years old, but just want to point out some new options for those who might still find a problem getting a fitting in there or are looking for a simpler solution than the one described above.