PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Caliper Problem

shockster0429
01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
While changing out rear brake rotors and pads, I went to put it all back together and loosned the nipple on the caliper to release fluid so i could compress the cylinder with a C clamp. I cant get the cylinder to budge, I even bent the Forged Steel C clamp in the process. I took the whole nipple screw off and tried pumping the brakes fluid squirts out but the cylinder piston wont move on either drivers side or passenger. Are my calipers shot and i need new ones? or is there something im missing :sadwavey: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

slivia-junkie
01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
na this is normal i had the same problem what i did was get a caliper key (local part store for like $3) and i had to just turn them in which worked fine

gfisch
01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
yup, get the right tool and itll all be real easy.

Mine is a round piece of metal w/ 2 pins that attaches to a ratchet wrench

TwoFourO
01-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Use a flathead and leverage between the prong thingies and rotate the cylinder clockwise(if i remember right). It will spin back into the caliper so you can install your pads and throw it back on the car.

ghostuss
01-31-2005, 01:31 AM
yep. You got use the steel box like thingy.

gfisch
01-31-2005, 06:53 AM
rotate the cylinder clockwise(if i remember right).

Yeah, clockwise will put it back in, just did it this weekend.

Make sure its in all the way, the surface of the pad that rest on it should be flush or behind the edge of the bracket.

shockster0429
01-31-2005, 09:05 PM
well guys i got the caliper key the box one didnt fit, so i went to autozone and rented their "professional" key, broke it, took it back got another broke that one to. my piston is completely coderized/rusted in its sleve. So i bought new ones should be installing tomorrow. thanks for the help tho, now i kno that 4w disc brakes need a key on the back, thats one positive out of this situation :cool:
Thanks again