PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Replacement problem

gfisch
01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
OK, So I was just replacing my rear brake pads.

Everying was going fine, but when i replace the caliper with the new pads on it, the outer pad seems to be too thick.
The caliper slides over the rotor fine, but when I tighten up the bolts, the front pad is rubbing hard on the rotor and actually pushes it enough to make it so it wont stay flush w/ the hub.

I ended up just replacing the inner pad behind the hub and leaving the worn one on the outside for now. That seems to work fine, at least stopped by rubbing sound.

Any idea why this would happen?
Did the store give me the wrong pads maybe?

I didn't see any adjustment for the outer pad. The inner one, you just crank back the piston, but anything for the other??

Also, what break-in procedure do you reccomend? Just brakaing hard a bunch of times??

Thanks,
Greg

AllenRPS13
01-29-2005, 07:06 PM
if the pad is for your car, then u just turn the piston back and u can put the pad on easily, have u turn the piston all the way inside?

BSeay
01-29-2005, 07:14 PM
yea i was going to say that you didnt turn the piston back all the way in the rear, it's a motherfucker to do without the tool, go to advance and get the little block looking tool and turn it back...it makes a world of difference...

driftyour40
01-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Breaking them in: heat them up and let them cool down don't just go out and do a bunch a of hard stops though, you have to heat them up slowly then park your car for a while to let them cool down then do it again do it like 5-6 times then just drive normally for a week, then it's cool to start driving hard again.

gfisch
01-29-2005, 10:06 PM
yea i was going to say that you didnt turn the piston back all the way in the rear, it's a motherfucker to do without the tool, go to advance and get the little block looking tool and turn it back...it makes a world of difference...

Yup, have the tool and used it.
I'm pretty sure it is all the way in, the pad was definetely behind the surface of the mount.

It seems like the other side it sticking out too far.

Ritz S14
01-29-2005, 10:30 PM
You may have added too many shims.