PDA

View Full Version : vlsd vs hlsd

nlzmo400r
01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok guys, i know these two things have been beaten to death, but I've gotta ask. Everyone on here that has an hlsd, says taht vlsd's are garbage. I know that a good s15 hlsd going to lock harder than a stock s13 vlsd. However, i hear that the s15 diff will only split torque 75/25. I dont drift, all i do is autoX and the occasional road race. It seems that for autoX, i would need more than a 25percent power to the outside wheel, especially being as tehre are a lot of 90degree turns in autoX. Would it be worth it for a 'non drifter' to invest $6oo-7oo for an s15 hsld? Or should i just get the vlsd for $300. Spending 1k on a kaaz or quafie is out of the question. Any suggestions?

stevo22
01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
If you are interested in a vlsd I have the whole rear sub-frame that I am going to be selling shortly.

Yoshi
01-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I've always been of the mind that if yo ucan't find the HLSD and shafts for less than 600 or so, then get the real deal.
VLSD is crap.
They don't lock fully, just help a bit, they also wear out, and I've found that most the vlsds around are so old now, that they do very little (and yes, I have one).

If you've going to be serious about autoX, I'd go with a quality unit.
KAAZ, Quaife, Nismo, Cusco, etc.... the usual suspects ;)

Sil Beer S13
01-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Damn all the people want to do track events with crappy ass parts GAH!

Whiplash Willy
01-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Whats wrong with that? The fewer goodies you have, the more you will have to compensate, forcing you to become a better driver.

nlzmo400r
01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
well, id rather go with the oem unit, as it keeps me in class. And the one im looking at getting, only has 7ok on it, so it should still be pretty good. And i dont have 1k to drop on a quafie, however 25o or so for a good factory vlsd i can deal with. Any other big gains with the hlsd?

nlzmo400r
01-25-2005, 10:34 PM
yea but a big named 2way isnt really needed in autoX. And it would put me out of class.

MasterOFDrift
01-25-2005, 10:39 PM
^ 2way ain't no good for autox 2 way is for drift. there are 1.5 ways and there are lsds around 800-900 whichi is a few hundred more than a hlsd and much better. IF ok meant weak then the VLsd is ok

nlzmo400r
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
I just can't see the factory hlsd being worth 600 or so, when i get can a good condition vlsd for like 250. What makes it worth that much more money? My car is still stock power (intake/exhaust), so i dont need HUGE locking power.

Var
01-26-2005, 12:12 PM
vlsd should be called nlsd(no lsd) it sucks really bad and it's not worth it. maybe 1 out of 10 people that i know are happy with it (usually the guy that doesnt drive the shit out of his car) It probably wont even work on tighter turns cause you'll be in and through the turn before it starts to lock. Unless you get on the gas way before the turn which wont allow you to trailbrake at all.

nlzmo400r
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
well i have a close friend that picked one up off of an s13, and installed it on his car, and he loves it. Sure its not the best diff, but for the money, itll work, and keep me in my class. And the car he yanked it off of had 199k on it, still locks fine. It just seems a lot less complicated to get a factory vlsd, and so much cheaper, it just makes me wonder if the 600 s15 diff is really worth it for autoX. Like i said, most peole that spend 1k on a diff, drift on it, i dont drift, just autoX, so whichever serves the purpose better for a decent price is what im going to go with, any other opinions?

Silvia Wannabe
01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
If you are not willing to spend the money for a "usuall" suspects LSD then get the vlsd. Some locking is always better then no locking. If it doesn't work right your not losing your shirt with a $250 price tag.

jmauld
01-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I have no complaints about my working VLSD. I've autocrossed with it for the past two years and have never had it let me down at an autocross or while on track.

SlowCoupe
01-26-2005, 08:53 PM
the nismo units are in the 700 range...

Scorpion X
01-27-2005, 10:54 AM
well i have a close friend that picked one up off of an s13, and installed it on his car, and he loves it. Sure its not the best diff, but for the money, itll work, and keep me in my class. And the car he yanked it off of had 199k on it, still locks fine. It just seems a lot less complicated to get a factory vlsd, and so much cheaper, it just makes me wonder if the 600 s15 diff is really worth it for autoX. Like i said, most peole that spend 1k on a diff, drift on it, i dont drift, just autoX, so whichever serves the purpose better for a decent price is what im going to go with, any other opinions?

If you're only into AutoX, get an s15 or other HLSD.

Clutch LSD's can sometimes hurt you more than it would help you in AutoX. And a full 2-way would definitely hurt you. You will get much better turn-ins and exits from HLSD.

If you want to go the cheap way, a good working VLSD would also help (some), but you're gambling when trying to find one in good condition.

Var
01-27-2005, 11:48 AM
hold on...i take it back. vlsd IS good for something. Getting up those steep driveways when one of your drivewheels is off the ground.

blu808
01-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Var. :wavey:

nlzmo400r
01-27-2005, 12:13 PM
hold on...i take it back. vlsd IS good for something. Getting up those steep driveways when one of your drivewheels is off the ground.

yea, cause i get stuck getting into some ez go's and stuff sometimes :(

s14slide
01-27-2005, 12:18 PM
if you go ahead and invest in an HLSD, at least you'll never have to worry about it wearing out like a VLSD, plus you won't be taking a gamble on whether or not it will lock or not.

nlzmo400r
01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Yea, but for the price difference, i could go through 2 vlsd's for the price of one s15 diff w/halfshafts. And that doesnt count reshiming, and all that BS.

Var
01-27-2005, 12:29 PM
what kind of reasoning is that? the dumb kind. if vlsd was 10 dollars, you could get 50 vlsd for the price of one helical and neither one of those 50 would work as good as a helical, even if they were brand new.

s14slide
01-27-2005, 01:06 PM
reshimming?? obviously you've done no research on this before you pooped out of your mouth. Chances are if you buy a VLSD, your getting the whole diff, not just the internals. If your doing something other than reg driving, autoX or grip circuit then vlsd is a waste of money, hlsd will alway work no matter how hard or long you drive on it. VLSD will burn out, eventually. Plus, if your willing to go as far as $600 plus for an hlsd, what a couple hundred more for proven performance in getting one of the regulars?

s14slide
01-27-2005, 01:09 PM
oh, and BTW, that question "would it be worth it for a 'non drifter' to invest $6oo-7oo for an s15 hsld?", that's completely up to you. I would say it comes down to how much mula are you willing to invest into this hobby. Nobody can really decide that but you and your wallet.

Var
01-27-2005, 01:18 PM
"would it be worth it for a 'non drifter' to invest $6oo-7oo for an s15 hsld?",

i dont think drifter would want to use an HLSD, seeing as it doesnt lock as hard as a clutch type..it doesnt even lock really, it just transfers torque

Scorpion X
01-27-2005, 01:48 PM
"would it be worth it for a 'non drifter' to invest $6oo-7oo for an s15 hsld?"

- A good drifter would not get a HLSD
- An HSLD would not help you get into the driveway if one wheel is off the ground, CTLSD and VLSD (if working properly) would
- Reasoning that "i could go through 2 vlsd's for the price of one s15 diff w/halfshafts" is just plain naive. For what you want it for, a HLSD just plain outperforms VLSD (especially a used VLSD of unknown condition) at a level that leaves no comparison. And you can go through many more than 2 VLSD's before your HLSD craps out, if it ever does. HLSD is the longest-lasting type of LSD. Period.
- If you drag race, drift, like big smoky burnouts - go with CTLSD
- If you autox, like taking corners, do alot of parallel parking - go with HLSD/S15 LSD
- If you want it just for street use, low on funds, don't care, "just want LSD", drive like grandma, etc., go with VLSD

nlzmo400r
01-27-2005, 03:55 PM
I did research on this before i 'pooped out of my mouth'. I saw many threads saying something about reshiming their s15 hlsds. Also, when i said 'non drifter' using an HLSD, I was more heading towards that im not going to beat the shit out of it on EVERY corner i ever see, just normal daily driving, and then the twice a month AutoX and occasional road course. And also, about my being able to go through two VLSDs for the price of one HLSD, that one is being interpreted wrong. My only real reason from shying away from teh factory vlsd is because of unknown condition(and if I got one and decided it wasnt worth the money, or it was already shot, then id only be out of $300, as opposed to spending 700 for hte hlsd and realizing its not what i want). Ive ridden in my buddy's vlsd equipped 240, and it handled and pulled nicely out of corners. However ive never ridden in a hlsd car before, so im curious about the difference.

s14slide
01-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Also, when i said 'non drifter' using an HLSD, I was more heading towards that im not going to beat the shit out of it on EVERY corner i ever see, ............

So what are you trying to imply, that us "Drifters" drive around irresponsibly and childishly beating the shit out of EVERY corner we ever see. I don't know about all you other "drifters" on the board, but this guy doesn't seem to like us "drifter" types. Kinda makes me think twice about trying to help this guy who has all the info of the world in front of him/her on the screen literally at their fingertips, but yet slyie (slyly, is that a word?) decides to discriminate against me for the type of motorsport I choose to enjoy Yes, I am being an :mrmeph:

Just becasue it's 0800 right now and I've been up since 1820.

And as for the whole shimming thing, either I misinterpreted you talking about the vlsd or you need to be more clear when typing. Just keep in mind that the HLSD is a one time deal once it's done, whereas the vlsd will have to be replaced once it's burned. And it will burn, it's the inherent nature of the design of the damn thing.

As for anserwing your question, no matter what, it comes down to what your wallet says. I think in the morning, you need to get up early, cook a breakfast for two, make a pot of nice gourmet coffee and have a one on one w/ the 'ol wallet. See what it says to you, and that will answer your question. Here's a hint. VLSD=Cheap=Unknown Condition. HLSD=CTLSD after parts/proper install (ie shimming) for price. HLSD=CTLSD for performance. CTLSD has upside since you can choose 1/1.5/2 way and you can adjust the lockup characteristics, which is a nill for the first two choices. So sleep well, get up early and cook that bacon till it's crispy!!!!!

Moral of the story, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!
yes I am feeling the urge to be an :mrmeph: right now. Nothing personal.

nlzmo400r
01-27-2005, 06:45 PM
^haha, its cool, thought it was a rather interesting post. I didnt mean to offend anyone by saying something about drifters. Unfortunately the 'drifters' around here, can't drift for the life of them, and just beat the hell out of their cars for no apparent reason. Should just call em 'kurb killers'.

Var
01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
^haha, its cool, thought it was a rather interesting post. I didnt mean to offend anyone by saying something about drifters. Unfortunately the 'drifters' around here, can't drift for the life of them, and just beat the hell out of their cars for no apparent reason. Should just call em 'kurb killers'.

Amen(this includes me)

thx247
01-27-2005, 07:53 PM
The difference is more traction on the outside tire when you get on the gas, more pronounced throttle steering (on and off throttle) and faster engagement than a vlsd.

ledzeppelin240
01-28-2005, 12:34 AM
But if you're going Pro racing and do need the trick parts, aftermarket components based on the Ford 9-inch are available that can support anything up to and including a Top Fuel car. -quoted from somewhere.

I know some people who know people and they can get you a Ford 9-inch cheaper than the VLSD.

sil80drifter
01-28-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a vlsd that i got with only 30k miles on it and it was not abused much. It works like a charm, I've been beating on it (read yes I'm one of those guys who DOES beat on it on every corner, or at least used to until my rings went), NA for 3 months and turbo for a few weeks and it hasn't gotten any worse. All you guys should change your VLSDs oil frequently if you beat on it.

sil80