PDA

View Full Version : will not start

s14unimog
01-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Ok so my car runs great! the only problem is that it will not start by the key. So If I roll it down a hill and jump it off it runs and pulls hard. But If I turn the key the car trys to crank (meaning the starter moves the pistons) but the car never fires. If anyone has any idea what this is I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks, Brandon

s14unimog
01-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I have an aftermarket alarm and I'm thinking thatmight have something to do with it. does anyone else have an idea?

s14unimog
01-19-2005, 08:20 PM
help anyone

97DubTruck
01-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Try the grounds. :bigok:

s14unimog
01-21-2005, 09:02 AM
the car turns over fine so I'm guessing that its not a ground. The thing just wont catch to fire. something is happening when the key is turned, maybe the coils are losing power. I'm stumped!

heard about the coupe jay. daily driver?

idlafie
01-22-2005, 02:36 AM
Ok so my car runs great! the only problem is that it will not start by the key. So If I roll it down a hill and jump it off it runs and pulls hard. But If I turn the key the car trys to crank (meaning the starter moves the pistons) but the car never fires. If anyone has any idea what this is I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks, Brandon

Brandon,
Remove the steering column cover and examine the ignition switch module.
http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year=1996&make=NI&model=240-SX-003&category=M&part=Ignition+Switch
It's possible that you could have a short in the ignition switch module. Only way to know for sure is to remove the two small phillips head screws holding the ignition switch module in place, (directly opposite of where you insert your key into the ignition/steering wheel lock). Remove the ignition switch module from the steering column & unplug it from the wiring harness. Once you do that, then take a ohm/volt meter or continuity tester & test the switch in EACH position....OFF / ACC / ON / START. Make sure all the position of the switch are working properly & there are NO electrical shorts in any of the positions. If there is, then replace the switch. A faulty ignition switch module can cause the problems you are having now. You can order a replacement at the above mentioned link.
ID

s14unimog
01-22-2005, 05:31 PM
I did just that about. Thanks and your right that is the problem. I took that apart to discover burned terminals. Thanks for the link
Thanks, Brandon