PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating rims

rancid240
03-19-2002, 08:40 PM
i have 17" enkei zokus.  they are too bright of a silver for my car which is dark burgundy. i want them powdercoated gunmetal, i heard its about $80 per rim...but i've seen people do it to their stock s14 rims.  I've airbrushed/spraypainted before, but does any one have tips or a step by step instruction? thanks

bing
03-19-2002, 08:59 PM
befriend the son of someone who owns a shop...

my buddy says he can get it for $30 (canadain) perhaps too good to be true but we find out

tnord
03-19-2002, 10:52 PM
don't you have to bake whatever your powdercoating?

not sure the temp you need to bake at, but if your oven goes that high.......i spose you could bake them in the oven in your kitchen......i've seen it done on tv, can't remember how they did it

240sBoMex
03-19-2002, 11:47 PM
hey, try to remember tnord!!! im thinkin bout it too, friend told me a shop like KalTire (in Canada) can do it for $100 Can. thats bout $65 US..

tnord
03-20-2002, 12:16 AM
basically they had a big plastic tub with the "powdercoat" in it, threw the parts in, let them dry, then baked them

i'm sure i'm missing some steps, but i think in essence that's what happened

DrDubbleB
03-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Yes, you do have to bake powdercoat, and at insanely high temps too!  Most metals can withstand it, and it looks sweet!!!  This is not a do-it-yourself project though.

rancid240
03-20-2002, 12:46 AM
i didnt know about this baking thing....now i see why it is kinda expensive.  well i cant stand how shiny my rims are and cleaning the brake dust off and having them get all dusty again the next day is a PITA.  are there any solutions other then powdercoating? maybe something cheaper, but nothing too ghetto.  unless somebody knows who does powdercoating in los angeles. thanks

240sBoMex
03-20-2002, 12:48 AM
has anybudy seen 240sx stock le rims powder coated white, esp. on a black car, i think that would look niice, hmmm..

Jeff240sx
03-21-2002, 12:28 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rancid240 @ Mar. 20 2002,03:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i cant stand how shiny my rims are and cleaning the brake dust off and having them get all dusty again the next day is a PITA. are there any solutions other then powdercoating? maybe something cheaper, but nothing too ghetto. </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Umm. &nbsp;You could get EBC brake pads, or any other dustless brake pad to slap into the calipers. &nbsp;Then, you'll have very very little dust, possibly making you clean the rims once every couple weeks.
Also, you could wax the rims. &nbsp;It will make them look better, and also make them much easier to clean with water and car wash soap.
-Jeff

Two40 SX
03-21-2002, 05:46 PM
I've seen some spray you can buy in Super Street to paint your wheels. I don't know how reliable it is, but i'm certain it's pretty inexpensive. I'm going to try it once I get some new rims.

alchemist
03-22-2002, 07:41 AM
You can powder coat them yourself but it would be a pain. &nbsp;First you have to clean them....then buy the applicator....it applies an electric charge to the wheel and sprays the powder on it. &nbsp;From there you need to bake it an an oven.....do not use your home oven, unless you never plan on putting food in it again...the material &nbsp;is toxic to ingest so using your food oven is a definite no no....you can buy the device at harbor freight tools, or places like that cheap, but its the oven part that scares me