PDA

View Full Version : anyone from cali purchase a 240 with sr20det from out of state?

dasalnt
01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm purchasing a s14 kouki with a redtop sr20 from out of state and was wondering if anyone in cali has purchased a vehicle from out of state with a sr20 in it? The reason i ask is that from my understanding, when you purchase a car from out of state in ca, the dmv will inspect the vehicle before they issue you registration. I'm worried that when they inspect the vehicle they either wont issue me registration or they will send me to a state ref. I think they are only checking your vin # to make sure its there and hasn't been altered along with the emissions sticker and mileage but it still worries me that when they see a motor with a red valve cover and intake they make check the box on the form that says, "send to state ref". I understand that the dmv worker prolly doesnt know what the hell an sr20det is and as long as i have my smog check done they prolly wont care but does anyone care to shed some light on this? Thanks!

sr240mike
01-17-2005, 10:23 PM
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/noncaveh/noncaveh.htm
that link should help you out. It basically says you just need a "smog check" for a used car.
Edit: also,
"How do I register the vehicle with out-of-state plates that I purchased?

You must apply for California registration and pay all registration and license fees within 20 days of your purchase.

You will need to:

Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
Submit the out-of-state title signed by the seller
Provide an odometer mileage certification signed by both you (the buyer) and the seller
Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (for your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV)
Pay the fees "