PDA

View Full Version : '90 Swapped - Please Help Me Plan Rest of Build

BlazedGlory
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I recently picked up a 1990 240sx fastback with redtop already swapped in (couple of pictures: http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=13508 ). Current known mods are as follows:

Greddy Type S BOV
unknown custom FMIC
Koyo Aluminum Radiator w/ single electric fan
LSD
Wahlbro 255lph fuel pump (pretty sure)
Crappy TurboXS manual boost controller
SAFCII
Apex'i N1 cat-back
larger throttle body

This car will be my daily driver, for I plan on selling my SpecV. My goal is to get approximately 350-400whp on 93 octane with a new turbo, injectors, engine management. Then perhaps later I will possibly add some simple bolt-ons like cams and whatnot.

Let me start by saying that I have searched and found some basic information, but I'm kind of having a hard time deciding exactly what is necessary without going overboard. I was initially considering getting a GT25R, but now I'm trying to look into some cheaper alternatives with similar performance (any suggestions?). I would like to be able to run the stock manifold if at all possible for cost reasons. The main problem I'm having right now is trying to decide exactly what kind of engine management to go for. I like running an atmospheric BOV, so I'd like to get something that can handle that - I assume I need something with a MAP sensor to bypass the MAF. Is that correct?

I think I read something somewhere that Apexi's AVC-R has a map sensor, but I'm not sure. I don't think Greddy's Emanage has one, and I've read that it isn't really all that great of a setup anyway. Apexi's PowerFC is a little more expensive, but I'd be willing to pay for it I think if it is necessary. I am not willing to pay a whole crapload for something like an AEM standalone though. I do not plan on tuning it myself, so no worries about that.

So basically my main question is about the engine management and some way to run an atmospheric BOV without a high idle and flames shooting out of the exhaust (I assume that is what is causing that in addition to the car running very rich perhaps right now? My theory is that the MAF is reading air and then when I let off the gas and it blows off then it makes the car run VERY rich for a split second, is this correct?). Keep in mind that I already have an SAFCII, so it could always be possible to run that in conjunction with something else if necessary (I assume?).

Or if you feel you must you can just tell me to quit being a dumbass and just recirculate .

Thanks in advance for your help...

fliprayzin240sx
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
APex'i AVC-R is a boost controller, not a fuel controller. I'd say stick with the GT25R and that should get you to your ball park figures for HP. Z32 Maf, 550 Injectors. If your serious bout tuning it, i think the POWER FC is worth the money. Plus you wont have to worry bout running open air since it got its own map sensor.

BlazedGlory
01-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I know it is a boost controller - I thought I had heard something about a map sensor included though... maybe not...

fliprayzin240sx
01-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Nopes, im running it. It has a solenoid and a boost sensor. You could be thinking of the POWER FC.

TheTicTac
01-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Is there anyone out in GA that can tune PFC's?

BlazedGlory
01-18-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm sure there is. If not, Enthalpy lives in Tampa, so that isn't too terribly far to drive for a superb tune.

Update though - I'm told that for under 400whp the best way to go would probably be one of Enthalpy's rom tuned ecus... Still haven't decided exactly what I want to do yet but right now I'm looking into the gt2871r .86...who knows - we'll see what happens =P. I can never decide on anything hehe

TheTicTac
01-19-2005, 01:06 AM
I would go with enthalpy's tuned roms since he's close. It's better to have a tuner who can see whats going on, rather than guess over the internet for a solution to a problem.