PDA

View Full Version : engine cut out

nas240man
03-19-2002, 05:21 PM
This has been an ongoing problem.  Every one in a while when i push in the clutch pedal my car just dies, i just replaced my plugs, plug wires, distribitur cap and rotor, any suggestions as to what it might be?

Stee Flo
03-29-2003, 07:37 AM
Im not sure what it could be either. This happened to me a few times recently. It happened once while driving 65mph on the highway. I put the clutch in to downshift and the engine shuts off on me. Anyone have any clue? Could it be the fuel pump?

Emperor714
04-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Anybody else has this problem?

FRpilot
04-10-2004, 08:40 PM
ive had this problem too. it happened lik a month or two ago but hasnt been happening lately. basically, i was either downshifting or upshifting (i forgot, this was like 1or2 months ago) from 3rd to 4th (or vice versa) and the car just stalls. im like wtf and start it back up while my car is still rolling. it hasn't happen lately though. i wonder what it is.

RedSuns
04-10-2004, 09:27 PM
do you hear any sort of noise...if so your throw-out bearing could be going bad

Emperor714
04-10-2004, 10:20 PM
nah there wasn't any noise. The engine just shut off then the steering wheel got stiff.

RedSuns
04-10-2004, 10:26 PM
hmmm...there is quite a few possibilities in this...let me do some thinking and some research to what your problem might be

idlafie
04-12-2004, 02:44 AM
What year is your car again? S13...S14? Knowing what year would REALLY help.
Check the following items:
1). EGR valve -
a). Inspect the vacuum lines running to it - are they okay or are they torn/cracked/leaking?
b). Is the EGR valve sticking open? Take your hand & cup it around your EGR valve. Your fingers should feel the underneath portion of the valve. As the car is running & your hand is cupped around the EGR valve, pull your fingers up & gently push in the BOTTOM portion of the EGR valve. You should hear your idle start to drop - push it too fast & your engine will stall. It's possible that you have carbon buildup in the EGR valve / system. Spraying a can of carburator cleaner into the vacuum line at the top of the EGR valve & pushing up on the valve at the same time can help clean out the carbon buildup.
2). AIV valve - it may be dirty or clogged. There's a reed in there that may have gone bad.
3). Check your idle - disconnect the Idle Adjust harness..should be next to the TPS sensor - three wires...black/white/ green..???. Your car should be idling at 700-750 rmp. Readjust if necessary. Use the phillips head screw located on the passenger side of the engine towards the back of your intake manifold..almost directly below your EGR valve. You GOTTA look for it...it's hard to spot. Turn that screw accordingly.
4). Check your ground wire running from your engine block directly above your 02 sensor to the firewall to the left of the brake booster. A loose or shorted ground wire will cause a funny idle or a NO START problem. DONT ask me how I know this.
Anyhow hope this helps...
Diego
'95 SE
PS:
Have you tried pulling the Diagnostic Trouble Codes off your ECU?? To figure out how to do that go to www.240sx.org. Click on the FAQ link & scroll down till you get to ECU..Reading Trouble Codes..SOHC or DOHC.

teampro687
04-12-2004, 04:09 AM
I swapped a 5 speed into my car recently and it is cutting out at 3500rpm in almost every gear. It looks like whenever my speedometer flips out and goes past 110 it happens because the ecu thinks the car is going over the 115mph rev limiter. I'm gonna replace the gauge cluster and see what happens.

Kouki4Sale
04-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Ill check up on all those stuff your talkin about. BTW my car is a 91 s13.

mr0072003
06-27-2004, 07:52 AM
For me I suffered for 2 years with this problem and would huant at the worst of times, but it turns out that the lat 95 models suffer from a lloss connection at the distributer, all the symptoms discribed above were quickly gone. Just ouch the wires back into the connecters on the distributer and watch....let me know what happens