PDA

View Full Version : Realiable ?

minhbestunnin
01-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey guy, got a question. i have a redtop in my s14, 95 percent of my driving i dont dog on my car but , the 5 percent i do ... im scared to blow it up , dont get me wrong it runs strong and gives me no reason to doubt it , but i just dont want to take that chance, im running a topspeed manifold with their downpipe , turbo outlet and exhaust. i have had the motor for 4 months now, any opinons would put my mind at ease as im driving my dream car . later

Bryants95240sx
01-15-2005, 10:18 AM
whats the point of having an sr if you cant beat on it ? just keep the oil changed and the maintance up and you should be fine. These motors arent made of glass

minhbestunnin
01-15-2005, 01:35 PM
hahahaha .......

sr240mike
01-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Dont be so scared. Its not like its a mythical japanese racing motor, its stock in Japan. I've driven mine hard every day for over a year now with very little problems.

SR240DET
01-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Hey guy, got a question. i have a redtop in my s14, 95 percent of my driving i dont dog on my car but , the 5 percent i do ... im scared to blow it up , dont get me wrong it runs strong and gives me no reason to doubt it , but i just dont want to take that chance, im running a topspeed manifold with their downpipe , turbo outlet and exhaust. i have had the motor for 4 months now, any opinons would put my mind at ease as im driving my dream car . later

HAHAHAHA thats one of the many reasons im KAT

mellojoe
01-16-2005, 04:09 PM
HAHAHAHA thats one of the many reasons im KAT
ditto.

If you kill it, you can buy a new block for so cheap.

minhbestunnin
01-27-2005, 08:19 AM
anyone else ?

97SilviaRB
01-27-2005, 08:59 AM
dude I run 15psi daily and beat the living piss out of my motor and I have never had any serious problems from it.

TheTimanator
01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
I have put 25,000 miles on mine in a little over a year. I run on stock boost driving around town and turn it up to 13-14 psi when I go to the track. Never had any problem whatsoever. Just do normal maintenance and you'll have no problem. The only thing that I would worry about is your exhaust manifold. Tubular mainfolds tend to break (no matter who makes them). Just keep the stock manifold around in case something happens.

s14slide
01-27-2005, 09:32 AM
I beat on it daily, mostly stock motor. S13 w/ intake and d/p back, and I think my chassis will go before the engine does. Worst prob yet was a leaky turbo/mani gasket. Got 114k kilometers on it. Just make sure you keep up w/ maintenance and fix any problems before they get worse than they are (i.e. friend drove w/ a leaking head gasket for a day and the eng burned a hole in the head between 2 cylinders). Also make sure you have a turbo timer to let the car idle down after you run the car. The turbo and the elbow pipe get red hot just puttin up a hill. Other than that, worry more about the tranny than anything else. Seems to be the weak link in the whole drivetrain.

minhbestunnin
01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
when you guys run like that, ^ do you guys upgrade the head gasket ? or do you just wing it til it blows ? anyone had a bad experiance ?

nlzmo400r
01-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Anyone can have bad experiences, no matter what kind of engine. Just do as everyone says, regular oil changes, obviously keep an eye on all guages and make sure everythings normal. Before and after every track event, i put my car up in the air and check for any kind of leaks/bad signs or anything out of the ordinary (and im still on a STOCK ka). The only thing that will give you piece of mind, is keeping an eye on it, as someone said, they're not made of glass, they'll do just fine. Dont worry so much, spend more time enjoying your investment, not worrying about it.

s14slide
01-27-2005, 04:01 PM
my s14 w/ KA has 225K "miles" on it and since 130k miles when I bought it, I ran the piss out of it everyday. Still runs like a champ, no major leaks (slight leak from valve cover, seen worse on 30k eng's). Changed the oil religously @ 3k miles. Only changed the tranny oil once on that, and didn't change the diff fluid till I put in my LSD and month before I came to Japan. The motors are tough, just don't leave yourself in a situation where you might question your work. Do your own work and you know the exact status of your car and when/if something goes wrong you have no one to blame but yourself for doing soemthing stupid. (not saying that you are stupid) As far as headgaskets go, just research this forum a little and you'll find what you need to know. And just like nismo400r, any time the car is on the lift or I pop the hood, I do and inspection to make sure everything is where it should be. I even smell my oil to make sure it's just right. But I'm a nut like that. Yeah, less worry, more play. Worry when you up boost.

Ghettokracker71
01-27-2005, 05:36 PM
whats the point of having an sr if you cant beat on it ?

I have to agree with the simple logic here. Why would you swap an SR,or spend more to get it if you don't run the fuck out of it? Wait,whats the point of getting a 'sports car' if you don't drive it accordingly? Why not save on insuance,gas mileage, and purchase price on a KIA?

If you are going to drive it like a kia,sell it and buy a fucking Kia,otherwise run it....Yeah,it might break. Oh fucking well....that is why there is a technical forum on this site.

TheTimanator
01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Also make sure you have a turbo timer to let the car idle down after you run the car.
you don't need one if your using the stock turbo. Turbo timers are needed when you have a oil cooled turbo...so that the oil inside the turbo has time to cool down and not sit there and cook inside.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

minhbestunnin
01-28-2005, 09:05 AM
this is great guys , keep it coming

Var
01-28-2005, 10:38 AM
you don't need one if your using the stock turbo. Turbo timers are needed when you have a oil cooled turbo...so that the oil inside the turbo has time to cool down and not sit there and cook inside.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

even with a stock turbo with oil/coolant if you run it hard, it helps to turbo time it. Obviously the coolant and oil run through different channels, and when you turn the car off, the coolant and the oil stop flowing. If the turbo is nice and hot, the oil could get crusty in there and start causing flow problems. I got a manual e-fan and fuel pump switch, so i just spend a minute waiting for it to chill after boosting a little and like 2-3 minutes if i'm at a drift event. It's worth the wait. Even if the craziest turbo guru tells me i dont have to i'll still do it.

s14slide
01-28-2005, 11:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

uh, homey, I don't know what engines you have experience w/, but either you've never dove that far into your engine, but a stock t25 on an s13 redtop sr has both oil and water going to it. Now if you haven't notice, that oil is supplied to the turbo FOR the bearings, which sit at the most an inch or two from one of the hottest parts of the whole car. A turbo timer allows your engine to idle for a while so that the turbo has enough time to cool down so it won't coke the oil in the bearings. Check yourself before telling someone bad info. The only point where you messed up is saying it's only good for oil cooled turbos, when in all reality a timer would be benificial even to a n/a engine, which would still allow the oil to cool down after a hard or spirited run and allowing to to keep moving, cooling parts as it does so.

s14slide
01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
:fawk2: I'm in that mood again.

400th post ^, woo hoo!! :rawk:

alright, that's enough of that
:fawk2:

drez
01-28-2005, 09:59 PM
being in japan i drive the balls of my engine...... the sr can take a beating trust me on that..... me and my friends have put or blocks trough hell and they just keep on kicking..... as long as you change the normal fluids your good to go.... but hey im just saying the same thing every on has been says so :gives:

TheTimanator
01-28-2005, 10:15 PM
uh, homey, I don't know what engines you have experience w/, but either you've never dove that far into your engine, but a stock t25 on an s13 redtop sr has both oil and water going to it. Now if you haven't notice, that oil is supplied to the turbo FOR the bearings, which sit at the most an inch or two from one of the hottest parts of the whole car. A turbo timer allows your engine to idle for a while so that the turbo has enough time to cool down so it won't coke the oil in the bearings. Check yourself before telling someone bad info. The only point where you messed up is saying it's only good for oil cooled turbos, when in all reality a timer would be benificial even to a n/a engine, which would still allow the oil to cool down after a hard or spirited run and allowing to to keep moving, cooling parts as it does so.
figures....I've read on here a few times that the T25 is water cooled and didn't need a timer. I guess I shouldn't trust everthing I read on these boards. I haven't gotten to far into this engine at all. After I got it running I haven't touched it since (besides maintenace and install the a/c) Oh, well sometimes I learn by putting my foot in my mouth. I guess this should motivate me to try and get my timer fixed.

Sorry for the bad info :doh:

evrae205b
01-29-2005, 11:26 AM
when you guys run like that, ^ do you guys upgrade the head gasket ? or do you just wing it til it blows ? anyone had a bad experiance ?
waiting till it blows would be a really bad idea. might warp the head of fudge up some stuff bad.

minhbestunnin
01-29-2005, 01:50 PM
then when should i change it ?

Richter
01-30-2005, 04:18 AM
The only turbos that don't REALLY need to be turbo timed are BB turbos, so yes, stock S15 T28s don't really need to be turbo timed - they keep spinning even after the engine is off.

s14slide
01-30-2005, 05:41 AM
The only turbos that don't REALLY need to be turbo timed are BB turbos, so yes, stock S15 T28s don't really need to be turbo timed - they keep spinning even after the engine is off.

:bs:

um, yeah, Ima gonna have to raise the bs flag on that one there. Even though it may be ball bearing, it still gets it's supply of oil from the engine and it still sits smack dab in the middle of the turbo. It gets over 1000 deg in there. Come on now, use the noodle. Someone should just lock this before I slip on the crap being spilled on the floor here. I don't know what some of your are trying to do, but I like to think that maybe I could help someone w/ these forums in some way. I'm just wondering what goes through some of your minds when you touch a keyboard.

Doriftomodachi
01-30-2005, 09:37 AM
DON'T BE A WUSS. That motor was made to be driven hard. That grin on your face every time you boost is the biggest reason. And don't listen to anyone who tells you that you don't need a turbo timer. They were designed for a reason. If you don't have one just let your motor idle for around 30 seconds or so, 1 minute if you were driving hard. Change oil every 3000 miles or less.