PDA

View Full Version : Grease on suspension components....

SimpleS14
01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I just wanted to know if anyone is using grease on their aftermarket suspension parts...around the joints or mounts. Lately I've been getting this odd sound (like a binding kink) from my driver side whenever I'm coming to a stop. I looked underneath and all my suspension is fine...but I'm thinking I will need to put some grease on the T/C rod joints (SPL). Does any suggest using grease? I saw some Mobil 1 multi-purpose grease that works on suspension parts...and I was thinking of using that to see if it solves the problem.

twitchy
01-15-2005, 01:39 AM
hmmmmmm. no and i grease everything

you dont grease TC bushings you change em

kandyflip445
01-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Kuah told me not to so i never did. I had the same sound for awhile but for some reason it went away. I've had them on for like 1/2 a year now.

SimpleS14
01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Twitchy - My T/C rods do not have bushings.

kandyflip445 - Why did Kuah suggest not to grease them?

twitchy
01-15-2005, 01:22 PM
oh no bushings?? well go nuts then

greaase never hurt anything but apparently it can erode rubber parts

papershot
01-15-2005, 02:57 PM
i've got the spl tension rods, no squeaks. they're supposed to be internally lubricated, so they don't require greasing like those dumb zerk fitting ones.

check your bolts or something. my car makes all kinds of cool noises so it wouldn't really bother me much.

kandyflip445
01-15-2005, 04:21 PM
I really don't know. I called before I installed them and he said that the bushings didn't require any grease and to not put it on there. I think the little inserts are a softer metal. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though. How long have you had them on? When I did it I had the clunking when braking. I called SPL and Alan told me to make sure to torque the bolts that mount to the LCA. The torque is 80 ft-lbs. Mine were tight so I was kinda stumped. Then about a week ago it just went away.

SimpleS14
01-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I had these on my car for almost a year (since Feb. 2004)....and they are just now making that noise. I will double check to see if everything is tighten down. BTW....do you have to know the wrench size to adjust those two nuts on the T/C rod body? I think when the person did an alignment on my car his didn't tighten those down in the right spots.

weirdstyles.net
01-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Is the noise apparent when you "rebound/settle" from the stop?

SimpleS14
01-15-2005, 10:01 PM
uh.....yes.....it only happens when I come to a stop and weigh shifts forward really quick. The last time my car made a sound like that was when my stock T/C rods were DESTROYED....but then again when that happen the sound was horrid. This one is doable...and if its like what kandyflip445 experienced...it should go away (eventually).

kandyflip445
01-15-2005, 10:24 PM
The nuts that hold the middle adjusting......nut....are, IIRC, 27mm or 1" They're pretty big. Sorry if they are the wrong size. I know the two on the LCA are 18mm deep socket and a 10mm hex socket. (I think they changed those to normal bolts now though).