PDA

View Full Version : anybody around here a firefighter?

theicecreamdan
01-04-2005, 10:22 PM
A few months ago my sister told me that LA county fire department was doing its testing this year, she said I should at least apply and take the test. So here I am, the night before my test day and I was just wondering if anybody else on the forums was a firefighter? How do you like the job, etc?

The test is a pretty basic test, it tests for mechanical aptitude, grammar stuffs, and some personality type questions. They only do testing every 7 years I guess.

oh well, wish me luck.

rainier
01-05-2005, 12:35 AM
yeah i am a firefighter. i love the job.

jk

good luck on your test dan.

WhiteNissanS13
01-05-2005, 01:19 AM
rainier, you and i like to play with fireworks, what are you talking about, you practically lit your house on fire with that spray i gave you.

theicecreamdan
01-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Rainier are you in LA county when you're at school?

hehehe

well its 6am and I'm on my way to longbeach.

Fastback180
01-05-2005, 10:55 AM
"Ahh we're never gonna raise that money for a new fire truck"

theicecreamdan
01-05-2005, 10:19 PM
holy crap there was a lot of people there... somebody told me that there were like 60,000 people that applied and are taking the test sometime this week... that is pretty insane.

as for my test, I feel pretty confident that I did well on it, a few firefighters that my sister has talked to so have said that they will probably be processing all the tests pretty quick because they need a lot of people I guess. So maybe in the next couple months I'll be going for an oral interview and if that goes well its the agility test.

idlafie
01-08-2005, 02:11 AM
....... I was just wondering if anybody else on the forums was a firefighter? How do you like the job, etc?

Buddy of mine I haven't chatted with in a while works LA City Fire, (he's a Captain now..he used to be both a firefighter AND a paramedic), tells me stories about his academy & rookie days. Told me about the times where he thought he was gonna fail out of the academy cuz he couldn't toss those heavy ass'ed ladders they used properly....you gotta plant them a certain way. Also about how his arms were sore as hell from raising those damn ladders...start working on your hand over hand pulling ropes exercises now...cuz that's what you'll be doing during your academy training days. Hope you love heights...climbing up the exterior of those training tower ladders is gonna be a blast...those damn towers are TALL!! He loved working the station by UCLA cuz the sorority girls would always go snuggle up to him & take pictures with them...(sorority treasure hunts). He got tired of working South Central cuz of the BS calls they used to get. People calling in saying, "I have a headache...take me to the emergency room in the ambulance now!!". Best of all he used to love suiting up with a bullet proof vest every time he went on a run...YIKES!!
Thank God I only work PD........
ID
Crime Scene tech...