PDA

View Full Version : lsd installation question

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
01-03-2005, 11:50 PM
i just got a tomei lsd, and i was looking at the fsm. and on the backlash and the measureing the gear part it says i need shims to get the right backlash. and i wanted to know when you guys installed your aftermarket lsds like kaaz, tomei, or nismo, did u guys have to buy extra shims or were u able to get all the measurements correct with tthe oem parts. and if u do need shims for the ring and pinion, were can i get it.

thanks
keith

Flybert
01-04-2005, 01:12 AM
I've only heard of one person that had to re-shim their diff. My tomei didn't need to be re-shimmed.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
01-04-2005, 01:53 AM
thanks thats all i needed to know
haha

S14DB
01-04-2005, 02:01 AM
As long as you use the same Ring and Pinion you should not need to ajust your backlash. Make sure you keep everything on the same side it came off of when you take the diff out of the carrier.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
01-04-2005, 02:04 AM
yeh my dad was gonna help me out on the diff tomrrow, and he only works on his mustang, so he was worried that i might have to buy shims for my car.

S14DB
01-04-2005, 02:08 AM
That's domestic crap for yah. The tolances on the Tomei unit should be the same as stock. I had a Eaton posi on my '90 GT and they were diff sizes. You still want to make sure that the lash is the same before you bolt it up. but, if you keep the shims on the same side they came off the lash should be the same.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
01-04-2005, 02:11 AM
ok and yeh of course i was going to measure the back lash before installing it backcuz the measurements are so damn small but thanks for ur response too, now i feel happy that i dont need to buy more crap or wait before i can install it.