PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise under valve cover, searched all over..

sepulchral
12-31-2004, 03:41 PM
I have a DOHC KA with 143k miles
Engine runs perfect, however

It makes a knocking noise when i start it, it gets quieter after it warms up but is still very very noticable. Its pretty obvious where the noise is coming from, its coming from inside the head.

I searched all over the internals of the head, nothing appears loose, however i do not how to adjust anything in the head. I took off the timing chain guide and no noise reduction.... so i'm stumped. If it is the valves does anyone have a link to a writeup or guide on how to adjust them and what specs to use?

Thank you!

MIKE

nightwalker
12-31-2004, 07:52 PM
look on the net for a FSM file. I believe the guys at zeroyon have it. Google buddy, google.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
01-01-2005, 12:06 PM
its either ur using too low of octane or it could be i think it was somthinglike ur sleeves are all worn out and it leaks air or pressure and it knocks

MELLO*SOS
01-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I have the same problem, it's most likely your timing chain tensioner. You need to replace your chain, guides and tensioners.

240Driver39
01-01-2005, 04:39 PM
id guess that you took off the upper most guide, thres still one behind the upper timing chain cover.

sepulchral
01-01-2005, 08:23 PM
i dont think its the chain the car had been sitting a long time like a year, when i changed the oil the old oil was as thick as mollasas. I think a lifter is sticking or something, anyone know any really good detergant oil additive?

l33tmonkeyman
01-02-2005, 02:46 PM
do an oil change and add a like a half of a can of seafoam to the crankcase with the oil and leave that in there for bout a 1000 miles or so. then change ur oil out again and see if you notice any difference.