PDA

View Full Version : is this legal?

brokenben
12-22-2004, 10:42 AM
so.. my old car got impounded without me knowing.. (it was kinda parked down the street from my apt.) ...and by the time i found out.. the bill was up to 500.. the car was crap.. i already had my new car.. so i just left it there for them to auction off...

so they did.. then sent me a bill for 750...

sound right? if so.. wow.. big mistake on my part.
what do you guys think?

nokeone
12-22-2004, 10:55 AM
what is the bill for?..it should be an itemized invoice...

if it's for storage before the auction find out how much they got for it...that is the whole purpose of the auction..to recoup what was lost in storage fees...you shouldn't owe anything...it's kind of like..ok, we'll wipe your bill clean..and in trade we get to sell your car and keep any profits we make..

Jeff240sx
12-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Tell them that when you pay the $750, you want your car back.
-Jeff

rrobe99999
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Do you still have the title? Did you sign any consent to let them sell? It sounds like your car was stolen by them and they owe you money.

nokeone
12-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Do you still have the title? Did you sign any consent to let them sell? It sounds like your car was stolen by them and they owe you money.

that is definately NOT how it works..lol..guess you've never had your car towed or impounded before...

brokenben
12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
i believe it is itemized... it was sent to my parents house tho.. they just relayed it on to me..
i guess my parents' lawyer is "writing them a letter" ...we'll see how that works.

ya.. i figured thats what the whole point of the auction is. to recup storage..
by making me responsible for these charges..they're basically implying that it is still my property
in which case.. they then sold my property.. i would imagine if i paid that.. then they would be required to pay me the amount they sold my property for. logical?

and ya.. i wish i could sue them for theft. :)

sr240mike
12-22-2004, 05:19 PM
From what I've been told the car auction is to offset the balance, you still owe the difference which sucks major balls. Fuckin California Laws.

thx247
12-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if they tow your car, hold it for awhile and then sell it for whatever and send you a bill to make additional money on it lol.

iirc they have to notify you though that the car is being sold for a lien sale, if there is no record of that you might be able to tell them to pound sand.

Your parents lawyer...win.

zanos
12-22-2004, 08:21 PM
daamn,that sux.....Basically they legally steal your car,then offer you to buy it from them,you dont,they sell it........and then you have to pay for that also>>?????And its legal,,,,.............thats pretty f..ked upIMO........