PDA

View Full Version : Dry Sump for sr20det

Var
12-21-2004, 10:42 AM
There arent many threads on this topic ..I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a company that sells a dry sump kit for an SR, or if anyone knows any shops in the bay area that can fab one.

I'm looking to find a way to get it done between 1000-1500 bucks. If it gets too expensive, do you guys know any tricks to boost up the oil pressure using the stock oil system?

S14DB
12-21-2004, 12:35 PM
How many pumps do you want to run?

msaskin
12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately I don't know if there are any pre-done kits. As for having one made...???

I for one think that you'd be fine with a greddy oil pan and an accusump. I ran my car at many track days with just the greddy pan (after spinning a bearing w/ the stock pan) without a problem. My plans are to run an accusump on my next car just for a bit of extra safety :)

~matt

Var
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
wtf is an accussump? more info pls.

s14db-i was looking into running 1 pump but a 3-stage pump with 2 scavenging sections and 1 pressure section. i just found this website called Razor (http://www.razorperformance.com/pumps.htm) but i dont want to risk ordering stuff over the net if it's not specifically for an SR.

S14DB
12-21-2004, 03:16 PM
I would stick with something I know like Moroso:
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=14315

If you don't want to go all out you could go with a remote wet sump setup. You keep the pan and run an external pump. Like this: http://www.razorperformance.com/1stage.htm

Var
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
that external pump setup looks mighty nice.. I'm also very paranoid about losing pressure through a remote filter and an oil cooler. I'm gonna call and ask for a price.. i'll post back up.

i heard the greddy oil pan doesnt agree with a whiteline front sway bar. i already have the sways. Are there any other smaller oil pans that hold more than the sr pan but are smaller than the greddy one?

the head
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
i have only heard gripes about the combination of whiteline and tomei oil pans but if you stick to a pan that is sheet metal you can dimple the interference area a little to make it all fit

secondly http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ has good prices on dry sump stuff my buddy uses them for his dirt track cars

S14DB
12-21-2004, 03:48 PM
I just don't know where you're going to put a oil tank. With a dry sump you are going to take the stock pan and cut off the sump. You could basicly bolt a plate in place of the lower pan. Drill two holes in the upper pan for oil pickups. Run them to the pump. From the pump to the tank. From the tank to the pressure pump and then into the block.

atom
12-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately I don't know if there are any pre-done kits. As for having one made...???

I for one think that you'd be fine with a greddy oil pan and an accusump. I ran my car at many track days with just the greddy pan (after spinning a bearing w/ the stock pan) without a problem. My plans are to run an accusump on my next car just for a bit of extra safety :)

~matt

Word, I want get an oil accumulator for my car sometime as well. I suppose if you have the time and money a dry sump is best but can't beat the bang for buck and ease of install of an accumulator.

Var
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Razor Performance quotes me 575 for the stage 1 pump setup. I didnt get into specifics with they guy about how much oil pressure you get and what else is needed. All he said was he recommends a remote filter and he can get a reverse pump for reverse flowing motors.

When you think about it..it seems the sr oil pan is too small to run this setup. It would probably suck the pan dry in a matter of seconds and would suck in a lotta air during hard cornering. . These are used with chevy smallblock where the oilpan is 5-8 quarts. When i imagine the engine running, the oil doesnt make it back to the pan as fast as the pump is pumping. maybe i'm wrong. ..

The accusump system seems cool but again, it's another leach for oil pressure when it's sucking in oil right? I want more oil pressure running through the system, especially since i run 15W50 oil and i want my motor to spin to 8k comfortably.

atom
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
If maintaining pressure for sustained high RPM use is your goal then yeah, the accumulator is probably not what you're looking for. If the engine is an S13 SR get the S14/S15 oil pump and shim it. That might be enough.......

msaskin
12-21-2004, 08:22 PM
I was just doing some more research:

Z10 motorsports (www.z10eng.com) makes a sheet-metal SR20 pan designed for external wet or dry sump as well as a replacement front cover to eliminate the oil pump for using an external pump. Get those two things and you'll need to add an external pump, oil tank, lines, filter, and boom, dry sump :)

~matt

STR8E180
08-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I was just doing some more research:

Z10 motorsports (www.z10eng.com (http://www.z10eng.com)) makes a sheet-metal SR20 pan designed for external wet or dry sump as well as a replacement front cover to eliminate the oil pump for using an external pump. Get those two things and you'll need to add an external pump, oil tank, lines, filter, and boom, dry sump :)

~matt

i didnt wanna make another thread so i thought i would bring this thread back from the dead
does any on know any more on the z10 kit? are they still making them?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/racing-24.jpg

future
08-26-2011, 08:11 AM
This shit it seven years old. Should have made a new one

TheRealSy90
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Why? So the info that is in this thread already has be be reposted in a new thread?

conrad_s13.5
08-26-2011, 12:46 PM
i approve bringing this back!

id be curious to kno too!
i saw that JUN also had a kit that can still be found once in a blue moon!

Geno750
08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Mazworx makes a bolt on dry-sump kit for the SR now.

s14unimog
08-26-2011, 01:28 PM
sure do.... and its $3400

slider2828
08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I was thinking accusump with a greddy pan and call it a day? right?

STR8E180
08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Any useful info guys? I sent them an email but got no reply

brndck
08-26-2011, 10:36 PM
This shit it seven years old. Should have made a new one
WRONG :facepalm:
Why? So the info that is in this thread already has be be reposted in a new thread?

RIGHT!!!! Contributing USEFUL new information to an old thread is a good thing.
just adding your opinion to an old thread is not ok.

STR8E180
08-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Mazworx makes a bolt on dry-sump kit for the SR now.

It's not a true bolt on kit u need to relocate the alternator
Reason why I'm interested in the z10 kit is because the pump sits where the air con compressor normally sits and I've already removed my air con

STR8E180
08-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Any one know if z10 are still production ? I sent them an email asking about the dry sump/external pump kit and didn't get a reply

Yellow4g63
08-29-2011, 05:48 AM
This place has dry sump stuff too. Nissan, V - 6 Dry Sump Oil Pans (http://www.drysump.com/NissanDatsun.htm)