PDA

View Full Version : Underdrive Pulleys

nismojunkie
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if an Underdrive Pulley for the DOHC will also fit on the SOHC?

Has anyone using one had any trouble with charging or power steering?

Thanks in advance!

THX1138
12-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Doesn't look like it. ASP's site (http://www.aspracing.com/intro.htm) shows two different part numbers for 89-90 and 91-98. If you shop around, you should be able to find one for a little under $100.

If you have a big power-hungry audio system you might have some charging issues, but I haven't had a problem since I put mine on over a year ago.

Dream240
12-17-2004, 03:31 PM
depends on what brand pulleys you get. The UR (unorthodox) pulley kit will not cause any problems with charging or steering. You WILL NOT be able to run an amp with the alternator pulley without some problems. My advice to you is don't go cheap, get a good brand. The better the brand the better the tolerances. You go cheap and you could end up with a wobbly underdrive pulley that keeps throwing belts!!! Just a suggestion.

Also make sure you get the correct belt sizes that are specified by the pulley manufacturer.

Good luck.

twitchy
12-17-2004, 04:51 PM
not to hijack but im curious about these underdrive pulleys

can anyone here who has them tell me they are an amazing upgrade, or should i spend the money on something else.

Dream240
12-20-2004, 10:51 AM
not to hijack but im curious about these underdrive pulleys

can anyone here who has them tell me they are an amazing upgrade, or should i spend the money on something else.

IMO they're a great upgrade. Well worth the money. And what's cool is that they're good for either Turbo or NA cars. They make the car alot more rev happy and really boost the top end. There's an old article in an import tuner where they put the Unorthodox SS Pulley kit on a 95' with 120k miles. Netted some pretty good gains all across the range, but mostly on the top end.

I'd say spend the cash.

Johny5
12-21-2004, 06:12 AM
mine makes my alternator belt squeaky in winter time D: i'll be sure to make sure thats the problem by at least putting a new belt on. but the thing is tight and squeaky squeaks. oh, btw, its asp on dohc.

autobahNESSA
12-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Does anybody have the underdrive pully on thier sr?? Are there any dynos to show how much power/ tq. increase an undervie pully will do to a basic sr?

autobahNESSA
12-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Does nobody have an unorthodox pully on there sr?
bump

nismojunkie
12-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks Guys.

I appreciate the feedback but are we all sure now that an Underdrive pulley for the DOHC will NOT fit on the SOHC?

S14DB
12-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Will not fit