PDA

View Full Version : Wyo-Tech Worth it?

SpoolinSr20
12-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Thinking about attending Wyo-Tech but I want to hear if it's worth it.
I can go to my local JC and attend a auto-mechanic class there.
Reasoning about Wyo-Tech is because they have a High Performance Engine Class..
I hear the tuition is around 22k
So tell me guys is is worth it?
Thanks
Joe

goodjuan
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
just go to your community college. cheaper, and from what i've heard, better instruction. I had a few people in my auto classes that used to go to wyotech. They said the instructors are just interested in moving the class along as fast as possible. Try and get as many students as possible through the system. So far, my jc auto classes have been nothing but great experiences. If you want to work in the racing world. Get a job in the auto industry while in school. Go to autocross/drag/drift/road race. Talk to people. Make connections. Try and think of ways to sell yourself.

nightwalker
12-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Wyo-Tech = crap loads of money = same shit you can get at your local CC

I actually went to a Snap-On training school. Paid a lot of money too. But got my shit done with the quickness.

There's plenty of options out there. Just ask the guys who have gone and done before you.

nismo2491
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
ahh a supraforums guy as well I see.
screw wyotech, go to UTI
KEvin

Zachary
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Save your money, you get the exact same credentials from a JC.

nightwalker
12-16-2004, 05:30 PM
haha, UTI sucks too.

If you honestly want to go to a school for automotive, go to Evergreen college in the bay. They have the most developed automive courses. They're just a JC, but the have funding and good teachers.

My brother went to UTI, and hated it. They will tell you anything to get you to go there, then drop you like a bad habit.

SpoolinSr20
12-16-2004, 08:29 PM
What about Arizona Automotive Institute?
www.azautoinst.com

infinitexsound
05-05-2005, 02:09 AM
jc learn mechanics machine welding electrical autobody, take a course related fine tuninng, auto industry job, make connections...become a guru

thats what im doing.. got 3 to go

Buffalo Daughter
05-05-2005, 03:02 AM
haha, UTI sucks too.

If you honestly want to go to a school for automotive, go to Evergreen college in the bay. They have the most developed automive courses. They're just a JC, but the have funding and good teachers.

My brother went to UTI, and hated it. They will tell you anything to get you to go there, then drop you like a bad habit.

hahahahaha you must be joking. I took classes at evergreen and at the pace you go there youd be done in like 5-6 years with the fact that youd still have to get a G. E or AA degree to finish. Plus with everybody enrolling and downsizing in classes your screwed. Good for part timer but not for people who really want to be in the auto biz. IF you want want a career in the auto field go to wyotech or uti. Both have there pros and cons. You get what you pay and what you put into it. I hear people knocking shit all the time but i dont see them going to those schools or graduating from a CC. JC or CC is shit. Big class, labs suck, not up to date on practicals, can barely work on your car let alone what they have if they work at all, and you go what twice a week? BS, BULLSHIT TO THE MAX. Like i said if your serious think ahead and look at your options. The people that get like bad habits are just that bad habits and probably had that " i dont give a fuck" attitude thinking they know there shit and would get by. I heard this a lot, you put in what you want to get out. These technical schools are just doing what you are paying them to do. Teach you a trade. If you go to school and fuck up that must be you and not the school. But hey if you do decide to go to a jc around here, go to skyline up near daly city. I hear there toyota program is the shit.

kandyflip445
05-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Do you realize that this thread is old? Fuck, what is with people lately reviving threads?

240trainee
05-05-2005, 07:17 AM
jc learn mechanics machine welding electrical autobody, take a course related fine tuninng, auto industry job, make connections...become a guru

thats what im doing.. got 3 to go

Thats my plan, attend the tech center and learn some stuff in my spare time between "real" classes, and work. :D

infinitexsound
05-05-2005, 02:19 PM
sorry for bring up old shit must of been late last nite.. real late i was up all nite bored off my ass man 209 kinda sucks, and i just got home here...yeah man im with u... once im done with machine shop courses... im gonna buy a machine.. and start zero decking blocks and heads and bore blocks over... for dirt cheap to pay off the machine... easy.... and get experience quick.. same time im doing that ill be going to school again and finish my welding so i can be able to tig.. then get into fine tuning with some fi courses in the midwest.
once im all done definet guru... and me and my friends back in 707 plan on building a specc miata.. to get into the racing game....most of us back there are pretty unique because we all have talents and 2 of them already worked on racing teams at a young age, 1 still does.. while the other is building his 510 to be able to race in NASA events... we just wanna get known in our region... and we would also like to fab up some parts we can say is ours.... i plan on making some brackets to use mustang rotors when i get to that point.. out of forged alluminum... well see tho..good luck with yours... and definetly think big set goals .. its the only way your gonna get there..

MikeDeuce
05-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Why was reviving this thread a big deal?

There were new opinions to add about a topic that was not really locked on to any particular time frame.

Would you have prefered a repost?

Instead you ended up with this guy above telling his life story ;) and me cluttering up this thread with more useless talk :blah:

infinitexsound
05-05-2005, 05:18 PM
ahaha funny guy ur so smart... how long did it take u to think that up?

Ritz S14
05-05-2005, 06:04 PM
I went to the College of Alameda.. got my smog licneses.. took me 18 months..this was taking 24 units at a time including welding and automotive paint :). But I did have 6 years of background before I "finished" school. About a year of having my smog licneses, I managed to save enough to open up my own Smog-Test Only shop. I was on academic honor roll.. haha till the last semester, cause I failed for not turning in a couple assignments.

But yeah.. my tuition probably cost me 8grand, back when it was $11 a unit.

Dfish
05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
just go to your community college. cheaper, and from what i've heard, better instruction. I had a few people in my auto classes that used to go to wyotech. They said the instructors are just interested in moving the class along as fast as possible. Try and get as many students as possible through the system. So far, my jc auto classes have been nothing but great experiences. If you want to work in the racing world. Get a job in the auto industry while in school. Go to autocross/drag/drift/road race. Talk to people. Make connections. Try and think of ways to sell yourself.

I've heard the same thing...uti and wyotech just ain't worth it :wackit:

goodjuan
05-05-2005, 08:56 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=78784

check out citrus!

infinitexsound
05-05-2005, 10:04 PM
funny, but theres a high school in eureka,ca that builds scca race cars that their teacher drives.... nice cars too....

blackkoukirps13
05-08-2005, 08:42 PM
i go to uti right now and i think its a good school. you can definitely learn a lot there. you have to want to learn though your you will be wasting your money, but that could be said about any school. when you apply for a job it looks a lot better on your app/resume that you went a school like uti versus a comunity college.