PDA

View Full Version : coilover question and post

kenshinS14sks
12-16-2004, 01:46 PM
what does it mean to have an inverted shock system and what are the benefits over a non-inverted shock design? i tried searching but found no answers.

I've also been leaning on getting the KTS coilover setup offered by www.splparts.com. They seem pretty solid and compared to tein or the oh so old gc+koni yellow technology, it seems a damn good deal for the price. anyone have feedback on s14 coilover setups?

nightwalker
12-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Inverted strut is what it is. An inverted strut. (It's upside down) That way the strut reacts on the bottom instead of at the top. Theorectically it gives you better feel, the car better reaction to the road, and stability.

My friend has the KTS coilovers, I have Tein HE. After doing tuning and driving our cars (similar suspension tune) I can't say that either one really edges out the other much. The KTS shock dynos that SPL parts provided show how similar the strut was compared to the HEs. The KTS are cheaper though.

You can't bag on Tein though. I've had my HEs for three years now. They have held up great. They have over 40k miles on them. I've jumped two curbs, put shitloads of hard miles on them and they're still doing well.

My friend has had his KTS for three months. So we'll see.

kenshinS14sks
12-18-2004, 03:40 AM
thanks for the post, its good to hear responses with actual "hands-on" experience behind the product. tell me more about your friends' kts if anything comes up~

NZO
12-18-2004, 06:05 AM
Supposedly inverted design is able to withstand more sideload abuse (read: drifting). One thing to think about is inverted designs place the dampening adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock which most of the time means impossible to access when the car is on the ground, (non-inverted knobs are on top). Only inverted coilover I know of that has top-adjustablitiy is zeals.

jmauld
12-18-2004, 12:00 PM
. They seem pretty solid and compared to tein or the oh so old gc+koni yellow technology,
If you don't mind, please explain the technology differences between the Koni yellows, comparable teins and the KTS?

kenshinS14sks
12-18-2004, 09:41 PM
what i meant was that the gc+koni yellows is a combination that people have been using for a long time. Before products for the S14 started coming out. It's not a true coilover but however was and still is pretty decent. The teins and kts however are full coilover kits that are made specifically for the S14, which means tested and r&d, etc etc etc

AutoRnD
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
BZZZ nzo you are incorrect.. The zeal coilovers if inverted are bottom adjust.. hehehe.. anyhow!
there are tons of trade offs...
first is the kts monotube or twin tube damper.
Next off w/ the inverted design more side load is capable as well as slightly better durability in terms of hitting stuff.. ie pot holes.. but the trade off is coilover life. inverted coilovers do not last as long as the non inverted coils.. maybe by only a miniscule margin if at best though.