PDA

View Full Version : alternator problem? Car chugs and dies...

2fourDsx
12-13-2004, 04:09 PM
While driving the other night, my headlights went dim then my air-bag light starting flashing...followed by an illuminated ABS light. The car started to chug and it died on me. I put in a red top optima and it got me home. Now the car wont start. THis sounds like an alternator problem to me but would that cause the ABS light to come on with a blinking airbag light? I'm thinking maybe there isn't enough charge for them to work correctly thats why there warning light came on. Anyone have any info on that?

2fourDsx

S13Grl
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Did your battery light come on as well?

2fourDsx
12-13-2004, 08:22 PM
no battery light..

Ritz S14
12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Measure battery voltage with a volt meter, while the car is running. Anything Less than 13.8volts, have your alternator checked. Some places even do it for free.

2fourDsx
12-13-2004, 09:01 PM
yes battery was at 12.01...so im pretty sure its the alternator..but would the alternator cause the other warning lights to come on?

weirdstyles.net
12-13-2004, 09:29 PM
In my experience Alternators can make cars do some crazy ass shit so it sounds like your on par with the alternator problem...

Warning lights are a very common sign of a problematic alternator... this is one of those times were you wish you had a fancy Voltage gauge isnt it? :D

FYI: Pep Boys checks the battery/starter/alternator for $19, which includes a parasitic draw test too

SirWarrior
12-13-2004, 10:30 PM
ebay has lots of volt gauges :D

s14 blacktop
12-14-2004, 08:17 AM
hey let me know what it is cuz my shit did the same thing last night and I wound up towing my car home, also on top of what happened my clutch went to the floor and stayed there like it had no pressure but it has fluid in it, anyway let me know what you find out!

2fourDsx
12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
ye it was the alternator...the shop said the diodes were all screwed. The alternator is such a pain in the asss to take it out...drain your cooling system before you start removing hoses or else you'll have antifreeze everywhere like me. good luck

2fourDsx

Pacman
12-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Yes, replace your alternator. My car did this a few weeks ago, lights went dim and it died when I was turning. That little bit will make your car have a slow death.