PDA

View Full Version : Day trip to new york.... help

madwilly240
12-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Okay I'm trying to plan a trip to NYC for me and my girlfriend for early January.

It's a 2hr45min drive, 165 miles from my house in Maryland. I want to hit up the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square, and The Met. Kinda want to see Yankee stadium too (just from outside). And I need a nice restaurant to take her (under 100 bucks hopefully). And she'll probably want to go to all the designer shops (Louis Vuitton, Coach.. etc.).

Any way I can do all of this in a day you think? If we leave around 7 A.M. we will get there around 10. Is there a lot of places I can leave my car all day (and how much will that cost). I'll probably order all tickets for empire, the met and statue online beforehand. I just need to know if it can all be done in a day for under a couple hundred.

S14DB
12-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Take the train. I used to from DC. It's 10x better than driving.

Brian
12-12-2004, 01:27 PM
i agree.
take the train.
i've taken the train in from connecticut and it was far better than driving.
you don't have to worry about traffic, gas, or finding a place to park, or worrying about your car in a foreign place.

SilviaNinja240
12-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Forget driving in Manhattan, (especially with all them stops) I'd take the taxis if you wanna get somewhere quick, but the subway is an experience in itself. I'm always expecting knife fights or someone running away (like in the movies). Maybe stay in a hostel or hotel/motel so you don't rush things, its best to take your time and enjoy yourselves instead of rushing to do everything, it could ruin the trip. I never ate a fancy restorant type place over there but if you want to take her to cocktails I'd check out the 'W' in Times Square, its very Andy Worhol meets Sex in the City, but pricey! 20 bucks for a drink.
Anywho, enjoy your trip and have fun. (and take pics!)

95Blue240sx
12-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Hell yeah, avoid driving. When i went it was the greatest feeling to take the train because you can sleep on the way! If you want to hit up some designer places, take her to Soho in Manhattan. That place has some pretty good shops. Since you're in that area you can also hit up China Town and get all the good deals HAHA. Go see a musical, I have never seen one and i saw it for the first time. Was kinda hard to follow, but i dont regret it. That'll give you some plus points from the girl. HAVE FUN!

driFt.nyc
12-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Hell yeah, avoid driving. When i went it was the greatest feeling to take the train because you can sleep on the way! If you want to hit up some designer places, take her to Soho in Manhattan. That place has some pretty good shops. Since you're in that area you can also hit up China Town and get all the good deals HAHA. Go see a musical, I have never seen one and i saw it for the first time. Was kinda hard to follow, but i dont regret it. That'll give you some plus points from the girl. HAVE FUN!

dont drive in, take the train, also, u can also catch the train to yankee stadium, the stop is RIGHT next to the stadium, so u can to see it in all its glory, its in the bronx, not manhattan, just in case you dont know

WILDACEX187
12-12-2004, 09:33 PM
for liberty u'll have to go downtown, for yankee stadium u'll have to go to the bx which is a pain in da azz, 5th ave should have all ur girl needs but 750 for a bag is just nutz. bk is the place to go for good dinning with good prices. u can probably get everything done in 1 day but u'll have to manage ur time because going from say bk to the bx by train will take upwards to an hour and a half. if i were u i would go somewhere residential and park the car that way u dont have to pay for parking. just make sure to read all the signs on that side of the street so u dont get towed.

madwilly240
12-13-2004, 01:52 AM
thanks for the replys everybody.. heres the new scoop.

1. ditch yankee stadium, i dont care that much if its in the bronx
2. my dad said there is a bus trip that leaves 10 minutes from my house, and drops you off in times square. He said you get to NYC by 10:30 and it leaves for home at 6. Its 30 bucks round trip and they have food and movie on the bus.
3. is manhatten walkable? Will I even need to take a taxi? i found this website, and nothing i want to see looks out of the way, except the empire state building.
4. I found this website... http://www.ny.com/maps/shopmap.html

nismo2491
12-13-2004, 02:00 AM
definitely check out ground zero man, its history.

also if you're in md and aren't on it, check out www.midatlantic240sx.com all md/va/dc people
KEvin

KoukiMonster
12-13-2004, 02:15 AM
my experience on the subway was fine, people were helpful when and if we asked for directions.
my brother and i even travelled on the subway by ourselves to peir 71 which is a really cool place. its like a peir transformed into a mall. its right under the brooklyn bridge iirc. then we took the train and headed back up to time square and by then it was night but things were still safe.

check out little italy if you can, some really great food there. little china is right next door to little italy.

when we went we got a nice hotel on the upper west side on broadway.

just get a day pass for the subway. it goes anywhere that you want it to and you will save lots of money from getting taxis.

you won't be able to go to the top of the statue of liberty its still closed off but you can go on the island. i believe you will have to take a ferry there so you better start your day off early.

all the louis vuiton places are on 5th avenue. the street running north to south on the right side of central park.