PDA

View Full Version : SR warming up

Silverbullet
12-11-2004, 08:43 AM
hey guys, i dont know if im the only one that expiriences this or others have the sme problem... but my car dosnt like to warm up now that its getting cold here in northern VA. Tipically on my Jeep and mother's camery, i just let it idle for maybe ahout 30 seconds to a minute, and you can see the temp has raisen just a little. By then, i take off but drive gentally until it reachs the normal op temp which does not take long at all. Now... with my SR i can let it idle there for an hour and it still be cold. The radiator and motor will be some what warm but its not enough for the temp gauge to show a difference. Eve nwhen i start driving, it stays pretty cold unless i boost. Now this worries me because if its not at normal op temp, then the piston rings have not expanded to their normal sizes where they can handle the boost so i'll be getting blow by....

anways i just wanted to share my situation and i was hoping maybe someone can help me out of if someone else a common problem, even tho most people dont even pay attention to their temp.

another question.. does anyone know what temp are in between the lines on the temp gauge, and what temp is safe for my motor to have a little fun?

wutangben
12-11-2004, 11:23 AM
I am having the same problem. I did my swap a couple months ago, and it would warm up just fine. At the track it would even start to get too hot if i didn't let it rest inbetween runs. (i don't have any fans on it right now). Anyways, since it's been cold, I can drive it for an hour and it still won't warm up. At times when im sitting in traffic the needle might go up to the middle for a few seconds, but then once i start driving again, it goes back down. It especially sucks because the heat isn't even warm, and when it is, it's only for a few seconds. I'm not burning any coolant because my coolant levels have stayed the same. Is this just a thermostat issue?

Ben

wutangben
12-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Oh and i don't even have a cool setup. I'm running the stock radiator, no fans, SMIC, and 13psi on my T25...

Silverbullet
12-11-2004, 01:49 PM
same dude, mother fucking same. wont warm up unless i boost... which i dont really want to when its cold.

Mikel
12-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Thermostat could be stuck open.

What gauges are you guys using? If it's the stock gauge, there could be a difference between the SR20 sender and the KA sender.

These are just general suggestions, I'm a 240/SR20 noob :)

evilimport
12-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Oh and i don't even have a cool setup. I'm running the stock radiator, no fans, SMIC, and 13psi on my T25...
running 13 psi on a SMIC is a bad thing to do...potentially....heat soaked IC's are not good...off subject, I know.....

ledzeppelin240
12-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Maybe on the SR at idle there is not enouhg fuel even being burned to create much heat, I let my KA idle for the amount of time it takes to some a cig in -20 degree celcius and it warms up fine.

Silverbullet
12-12-2004, 07:42 AM
read harder. It dosnt warm up when i drive either. I have to boost hard.

last night cruising to the spots, my motor didnt even warm up to nearly what its supposed to be until i raced a turboed LS/VTEC Integra. On my way back home, my motor pretty much was cold for the whole 30 minutes of driving on the high way.

wutangben
12-12-2004, 10:22 AM
No one seems to be analyzing our problem correctly (cept for maybe mikel). My guess is that our thermostats are bad... anyone else?

Dousan_PG
12-12-2004, 10:47 AM
here's my setup
i have a water temp gauge
billion thermo koyo radiator
and heats up fast when driving around..at my op temp pretty quick

i say thermo too, maybe stuck in the open position (dead thermo)
easy to replace as well
make sure to rebleed system really well too

Inland180
12-12-2004, 04:25 PM
like dousan said. Its probably your thermo but it can also be that your water system has some air trapped in it. Thats what usually happens to all the cars. Try to bleed your water system real good. Ad some antifreeze and should be good. if not then next thing would be to change your thermo.