PDA

View Full Version : The "Pit Bull Problem"

Annoying Eric
12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/

I personally got attacked by a pitbull and it was totally my fault. I walked into a friends house all alone. And i believe he was only protecting his family..
This video brought a tear to my eye, being the dog lover that i am..

Ritz S14
12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Pit bulls rock. They're one of the better looking dogs out there.

SimpleSexy180
12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Man i hate seeing pics of mistreated dogs :-/ . And yes the pitbull does rock.

driftyour40
12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
A dog attacked me when I was young. It just about ripped half my face off. I am now a proud owner of two pits and will forever keep them in my life. I have never known a better dog, and as my family works with dogs I have met my fair share of different breeds. Pit bulls are by far one of the best family dogs I have ever seen. Great thread btw. :hs:

KoukiMonster
12-06-2004, 10:31 PM
a pit bull killed my 7 year old golden retriever.

im assuming the owner made the dog that way...

anyways my province is banning pitbulls. owners that currently own pitbulls will have to muzzle them by law. soon all the pit bull breeders are being shut down, regardless if they breed pure breeds. so pretty much after all the current pit bulls die, there will be no more. or supposed to be no more..

driftyour40
12-06-2004, 11:30 PM
One of my pits attacked another dog, and the owner got bit trying to separate them. The guy used to sit on the corner (house is on the corner) barking at my dog (yes the man was barking) every day he would do this, one day my bull headed pit ran through a closed window and got even I guess. Anyhow the guy used to torment my dog and he got what he deserved. Imo.

This same dog was responsible for saving one of our other dog’s life, in a dogfight. Story goes, my pit Otis (the one I'm talking about) our pit-mix Midget and our akita, Ricky where all in the yard, and midget & Ricky got into a fight that would have surely ended w/ a dead akita. Otis spent all of his time trying to separate the two dogs by pulling midget off giving me and my mom enough time to hear the dogs fighting and go and separate them (I think this happened at like 1am and everyone was a sleep) anyhow we made it out and Otis pulled midget back far enough for me to lift Ricky up and take her out of the yard. Now after that was done we hade to check the dogs for holes upon doing so I expected to find some on midget where Otis was pulling her back from and there wasn’t even a scratch. So yeah he attacked another dog and that’s bad. But he also stopped a fight witch is good. He has never bitten or hurt any other thing in his 8 year span on this earth.

Moral is, just because your dog got attacked dose not mean the dog was bad. Dogs are still dogs, and they fight just like people do.

KoukiMonster
12-06-2004, 11:38 PM
:confused:

nrcooled
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Meh, me and my wife used to do pitbull rescue. We got out of the business because of my daughter and I refuse to have strange pits in my house with a now two yr old. I have unfortunately had to break up four fights and they all ended badly. The one pit I had to kill with my bare hands (I still have nightmares about that), one where I got the worst of it, and the other two my wife almost got hurt in. They are very strong dogs and you really have to know how to disable a pit to break up the fight. We were lucky enough to never have any person (other than me) get hurt because of it.

Pits are a reflection of their owners and a properly bread and raised pit will be one of the most loving and sweet dogs you will ever meet. Unfortunately, we always got the bad ones due to our rescue. Most were abused, not loved, and many were from game breeders who fought the dogs. These are the dangerous ones! You can not, I REPEAT CAN NOT, rehabilitate a pit that was raised like that.

Our ultimate goal would be to temperment test the dogs and get them back to health and ready for adoption. We have many very happy families with the sucessful dogs but there were many that we had to put down due to them having terrible injuries or were not mentally suitable for re-homing.

It's a very sad job and there are just sooooo many bad pit owners that it breaks my heart. Still to this day I miss my two Pits
http://members.cox.net/nrcooled20/Isis%20and%20bishop.jpg
http://members.cox.net/nrcooled20/Isis.jpg

AlligatorBling
12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
My girlfriends previous job was at an animal shelter, sadly enough, they do not adopt out pit bulls, they are all euthanized. I am a dog lover myself and wanted to adopt several of them that came though, but was unable to. A lot of folks are intimidated by pit bulls, for the most part after you let them smell you and they get familiar with you they dont have a problem. The most savage dogs I have encountered are hybrid shepherds... They will rip your fucking face off man!

mk20116
12-07-2004, 06:54 PM
http://www.katv.com/printarticle.hrb?a=p&f=n&s=113315&fl=loc&stat=katv

hahahahah..

ThatGuy
12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
I have never had a problem with a pit or any breed of dog unless they were raised poorly by their owner. I myself own a pure bred German Shepard Dog. He's big, dumb, and loyal. My wife never liked big dogs, so we got a Jack Russel as our first dog. But just 8 short months after Drache (Geramn Shepard Dog) was born, he took down a full grown Boxer that was charging my wife while she walked in our neighborhood. She was scared and dropped Drache's leash as soon as he started getting defensive. Drache wrapped his teeth around the Boxer's throat and pinned it to the street for 5 mins. while my wife ran back to the house. When she got to our yard she called for Drache. He trotted back home as happy and dumb as ever. The Boxer wasn't seen again. I love dogs and have always owned large breeds. I have never owned a Pit but wouldn't hesitate to own/adopt one if the right situation presented itself.

weirdstyles.net
12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Im in the boat with ThatGuy except for the dumb part...

Dillon was a PBGS (Pure breed German Shepard) and was a K9 dog before coming into our family. He was an incredibly well tempered dog and very loyal to my sister. The tempermant is great unless your a male, and near my sister. He gained a protective/loyalty complex from the former Policewoman being abused by her husband. So on any give day if I were to walk into my sisters room or any room she occupied, all I saw was claws, teeth, and fur making loud noises and heading in my direction... Id bolt cause im a bitch against 140lbs of pissed off dog. Sadly Dillon suffered from Cancer and Kanine Hip Displacment and has been put to sleep. A sad day as my father and sister loved the dog greatly.

Duke was my first PBGS and was my best friend. He was strictly loyal to me and left scars on my brother to prove it. John (the brother) would fuck with me but Duke wouldnt have it and fucked with him... fun was had by all... 'cept John. He slept at the end of my bed when I feel asleep, a feeling I long miss and would wake me up by stepping on me... usually on my "stuff". I would return home from school and he would be waiting to play or just hang out and bullshit for a lazy ass afternoon. Sadly Duke passed on my first day of 8th grade. It tore me up something awful, I mean I cried for weeks. Years later and I still miss him. He was this man's best friend.

Fav memory was when Duke damn near killed some asshole who broke in my house. Imagine waking up to some "disturbance" downstairs. Only to find your german shepard holding some thug by his throat on the floor of your rec room. Nice....

Flash forward too today Kristin an I are in the market for an American Bulldog or British Bulldog. I prefer the American simply because I dont like the build of a lazy fat bastard like the British. (Not the people... the dogs... :D ) I would deff. be all over a Pit cause I am bery familiar with them, my aunt was a breeder, however this is legally 50% my decision and Kristin has been grossly misinformed on the Pit Bull breed....

G_Fish240
12-07-2004, 09:00 PM
a female pitbull attacked my lab once, tore him up pretty bad, I guess he learned not to dig holes under the fence and go into other peoples back yard, she was in heat though! lol

HyperTek
12-07-2004, 09:15 PM
hey how is it with a house trained dog? I tried it with my dogs before (cuz i had got one and was told she was a indoor/outdoo dog) and would chit when u least expect it... I guess u raise em from a puppy to be in indoor dog? I wouldnt mind that but my dogs are too old now so maybe my next ones.

1sikgti
12-09-2004, 01:59 AM
I personally own 3,had 4 but mommy passed away.Anyways these f'n dogs rock.They show so much affection yet goverment run ascociations put such a bad face on them,as much as they try an hide it.My own 2 dogs whom were/are sisters got into it pretty bad an my grandpa got in the middle of it old fashioned style an got bit BAD.Well dumbass told doctor the dog bit him an they took my dogs away an had to inspect or land an gates then we had to pay fines on our own dogs cause they were considerd dangerous animals!? Anyways there fibi,lina an bubba,bubba is the father an those are his 2 kids an hes doin great as a single parent since his wife died,rip cece.They always sit at the backwindow an give me sad faces so I have to always feed em lunch meat out the fridge to feel better.They love to roll around in the back yard an play basketball an do all kinds of fun shit.I agree on them being safe about whose in their "zone" but friends of mine they can walk in the back yard with em an play without issue.

nightwalker
12-09-2004, 03:07 AM
I've owned pits before too. We've always had ours when they were really small pups. Our pits loved everyone in the family. They were just happy goofy dogs. But they are definitely great protectors as well.

nrcooled
12-09-2004, 05:56 AM
The big issue that i see with a lot of pit owners are when they have two of the same sex. If one of the dogs is submissive then you won't have a problem but if they are both dominate (read - not related to eachother) you will have serious issues. When they go at it its not pretty

I loved my two sweeties (Kayla and Isis) but they hated each other. After Isis went into heat, Kayla felt as though she had to assert her being the Alpha female. After the first fight we broke them up and just kept them separated and continually tried to re-introduce them but it was to no avail. After the last very serious fight we decided to have them put down. :wtc:

The reason why we didn't try to rehome them is because they were the "non-addoptable" dogs that myself and my wife fell in love with and we knew that it was going to happen one day but we just decided to love them for as long as possible.

Kayla was a sweetie but was very jealous (she could be very aggressive if not given attention) and Isis was very, very dog aggressive (also very shy and skiddish which is a big red flag)

revat619
12-09-2004, 06:43 AM
geez..

you were right about bringin a tear to the eye...

I have a dalmation and they get a bad rap about their temperment as well. The thing is my dog is THE sweetest dog in the world. Reason being, he was pure bred and of course he's spoiled. :) The reason people think dalmations are mean is cuz a lot of people are stupid an inbreed them. Inbreeding screws with their genetics and they end up all snappy. Not to mention a lot of those people dont treat them right either. Its so sad...

Anyway, I've always wanted a pit bull or a boxer. They have such a negative stigma, but really they're awesome family dogs. When i move out, i'll definitely be getting one.