PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Boot Pops Out

DRO916
12-06-2004, 04:50 PM
After having oil in the spark plug hole, and changing the gaskets 6-7 months ago, the first spark plug boot (from the bottom up, facing towards the car) keeps popping up. Even after pushing it down again, it keeps popping up, when driving at about 3.5+ RPMS, and at start-ups.

I pulled out the spark plug cover and noticed it was all black, looked like it's covered in black ash. I cleaned it out a little for now.

Planning to use brake cleaner again to clean out the spark plug hole and let dry over night. Also going to check my plugs to see if they need replacing. Probably even changing my wires.

ANYONE here have/had similar problems, and any more precise ideas at what it could be. Injectors, piston rings, etc...

Let me know, thanks.

-PHIL

kensreliableb18b
12-06-2004, 04:59 PM
how far does ur plug go in? any resistance? lets hope u didnt strip the hole too bad

DRO916
12-06-2004, 05:08 PM
how far does ur plug go in? any resistance? lets hope u didnt strip the hole too bad

Do you mean the spark plug boot? It goes all the way in, but when i force it down, so it won't pop up, I feel it vibrating with ticking/knocking, unlike the rest of the spark plug boots.

kensreliableb18b
12-06-2004, 05:12 PM
sorry, i meant the actual spark plug. compare the first spark plug with the other ones when installing them. do you feel any resistance like it wont go in as much as the others? chances are the hole is stripped. thats why you have air coming up and out, popping ur coilpack up

DRO916
12-06-2004, 05:20 PM
sorry, i meant the actual spark plug. compare the first spark plug with the other ones when installing them. do you feel any resistance like it wont go in as much as the others? chances are the hole is stripped. thats why you have air coming up and out, popping ur coilpack up

Oh iite, thanks I'll check that out, any other suggestions on what it might be?

zero.counter
12-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Is the spark plug properly torqued? And as suggested, look in to the possibility of the threads being stripped.

DRO916
12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Is the spark plug properly torqued? And as suggested, look in to the possibility of the threads being stripped.

It's weird because I haven't un-torqued my plugs for about 7 months now, and all of a sudden this is happening. So I'm not sure why it would be the threads being stripped if I never played around with them recently.

But thanks for the input. I'll still check into that.

Pacman
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Seriously, I had this EXACT thing happen with my car. I took the plug out and then installed it in tight and it stopped. If that doesn't work, you may have the wrong plugs (to small and let the A/F mixture through) or you crossthreaded the plug in the head.

DRO916
12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the input. Going to work on it today.

s13irdie2
12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
the same thing happend to my friend. his spark plug flew out and when we tried to put it back it, it wouldnt go in. The threads were stripped on the head so he took it to a shop to fix. hope yours isnt that bad.

mC_YoTo
12-07-2004, 04:45 PM
same thing happpened to me recently on the freeway, 2 months ago to be "EXACT". I brought it to my mechanic and had him take a look at it. The threads were stripped and my head gasket broked and leaked oil onto the spark plugs[thats probably why there were oil on your spark plug wire(s)]. He basically rethread the hole to fit the new spark plugs, plug wires[broke when taken off], vaccum sucked all the oil out of the hole where the spark plugs were, checked if my rods were infected and replace new head gasket. So far its running like a charm. Hope this helps. Correct me if I'm wrong on this too.

DRO916
12-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Changed the spark plugs last night because they needed to be changed anyway, torqued to specs, and now my problem is fixed.

Thanks for all the input/help.

nightwalker
12-08-2004, 12:47 PM
hey, if your car is a sohc, expect it to happen. One of the shitty things with a sohc. To minimize it happening, I would buy NGK spark plug wires.

DRO916
12-08-2004, 01:30 PM
its DOHC, where to get NGK wires for a good price? yadadadadamean

Pacman
12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Told ya they needed to be tighten...