PDA

View Full Version : removing auto tranny

tak-
12-02-2004, 04:16 PM
I have been searching for a while, but cannot seem to find very much info on the removal proceedure for a ka-e automatic tranny. I am pretty sure it is straight forward, but I have never removed an automatic transmission, and I know that they differ alot from manuals. Can anyone maybe lay it out for me in stupid, or possibly post a page from the FSM regarding removal of the torque converter or something (links in FAQ for FSM dont seem to work)

Any info would be appreciated, especially the not so obvious things that will be a pain in the ass once i get started. thanks

tak-
12-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Do I need to remove torque converter bolts while the transmission is in place? Or does the tranny just have a spline that i can pull it off of.

meme
12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Do I need to remove torque converter bolts while the transmission is in place? Or does the tranny just have a spline that i can pull it off of.

remove the guskets and the shield will drop. now remove the torque converter bolts. use the crank bolt to help get to the next bolt.

orion::S14
12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
^^^ Like he said...there are 4 bolts that hold the TQ converter to the flex plate (auto trans flywheel).

You remove a cover on the front lower half of the bellhousing, and then you can access these bolts. Remove one, turn the motor 90*, remove the next, etc...

Then it uninstalls just like a 5-speed...except for the cooling lines that go to the radiator...and it's BIG...harder to manuever out of there, and twice as heavy...have a helper and a big jack.

- Brian

tak-
12-03-2004, 04:42 AM
how do i remove the plate? It looks like I have to unbolt the lower half of the bellhousing to engine bolts to get it off, or does it slide some certain way? Thanks for all the help, saves me alot of stress:]

orion::S14
12-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Correct.

It's held in place by the lower bellhousing bolts. I think you have to remove the gussets as well, to access the TQ converter bolts.

Once you've removed all those lower bolts, it slides out and down easily. It's a half-moon shaped piece of metal...

Good luck - Brian

zeek
12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
dont forget to take the drive shaft off first.... And prybar works really well to rotate the flexplate so you can remove the torque converter bolts

Also take the shifter mechanism off before you drop the tranny down, otherwise you will brake shit

tak-
12-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Okay, I just spent the last 4 hours working on it. Getting the oil pan off was a bitch, but that is done & drained. I removed the driveshaft, aswell as the torque converter bolts to the flexplate. I got the whole passenger side of the engine to bellhousing bolts removed except 1 for support at the bottom. I still have 1 bolts directly on top of the engine, 1 next to the exhaust, and 1 more loosened at the bottom driver side for support. I got pretty lucky with some of them with big wrenches and a universal.

Now I have a couple more questions.... People at work say that the torque converter will not drain any more oil, its self contained. Then on the internet people say there is a huge mess of it to take care of. Anyone know if i will have a large quantity of oil to deal with?

The next question is regarding the proceedure of removing the transmission. Once I have the bellhousing bolts, and cross member disconnected, do I just push towards the rear of the car? Will it be easy, or a pain in my ass? I will have a tranny jack... but before i get the tranny jack & still have some spare time till I sleep, can i remove all the bellhousing bolts, or should I keep them there to support it till i get a jack?

Last but not least, i havent disconnected shit for wiring...I dont seem to know where it all is... There was one big cylinder with a 10mm bolt next to it, fastening it, but that doesnt seem to budge. Another brown/red connector going into the tranny, but after complete destruction of it, i relized that it was not a connector, just a seal for the wires going in, does it connect elsewhere on the harness?

I dont think the wiring should be a big issue, i can undo it all after i drop the POS.

Anyways, thanks a ton for your help. peace.

ticklemeermuel
12-03-2004, 08:36 PM
In terms of oil being in the torque converter there will be a good amount. Just be careful when removing it, this was this the thing that f$%@#d me when I removed the automatic tranny. Removing the tranny will be fun make sure you have at least another person cause the automatic tranny is pretty heavy. Keep the bolts on the bellhousing to support it and when your ready take them off and support the tranny with the jack. Start by trying to pry the motor away it wont be easy, might have to give it a couple of hard pulls but it will slowly loosen. Pull it away and then lower it once its away from the motor. Let me know if you got anymore questions. peace