PDA

View Full Version : Bushings?

Jung918
11-27-2004, 11:59 AM
I have the Energy bushing kit and now I know why shops either charge so much or try to stay away from doing the install. :bash:
Do I need to take the inner metal sleeve out? If so, should I just use a saw?
Do I need to take the axle nut off so that I can take out the bracket behind the dust shield out? Is the axle nut a 35mm or 36mm?

http://kang.tv//upload_files/bushing2.JPG
http://kang.tv//upload_files/axlenut.JPG

projectRDM
11-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Sawzall a slit in it, then hammer it out using a screwdriver. Shouldn't take more than an hour to do all the rear bushings.

Axle nut is 36mm.

Jung918
11-27-2004, 12:40 PM
It has taken me alot longer that hour for the rear. I have been using a ball joint puller with an impact wrench and the ocassional torch method. Is there another method to take the bushings out?

FRpilot
11-28-2004, 01:11 AM
do the bushings make much of a difference? i noticed nekopunch installed some on his knuckles and he said it didn't help much. on another note. i might get my front and rear spindles powdercoated. will the bushings die because it is baked at 400degrees?

projectRDM
11-28-2004, 09:46 AM
They won't like the heat, and on an older car they're already worn anyway, I'd press them all out before PC, then replace them afterwards.

I've got a full set of ES bushings in the rear uprights and Aarms, along with pillowball arms/rods, while there's not a very noticeable difference you can tell there's been a change. Over time you won't see the degradation that would normally occur either.

Best way to ge them out is torch the inner sleeve and knock it out, then cut the outer sleeve. If you're running Z32 uprights you can press them out with a pair of sockets since they slide better on the aluminum.

Jung918
11-28-2004, 08:11 PM
I tried the torch method and it didn't really work too well. I tried the sawzell method and that didn't work at all. So, I just ordered a floor press. It was only 100 dollars for a 12 ton press. Hopefully now I will be done with these damn bushings.

kandyflip445
11-28-2004, 10:41 PM
LOL! Make sure you line up the press correctly. And wrap a shop towel around what ever you're pressing to prevent shrapnel in the event that you accidentally break something with it.

96twofourty
11-28-2004, 11:54 PM
haha, that brings back memories. You should buy a $70 press from harbor freight, it will make life easier

Jung918
11-29-2004, 09:34 PM
I ordered the press from Harbor Freight. They are having a special on the 12 ton so i just decided to get that one. The 6 ton was only 30 dollars less. If anyone decides to do this, just let a shop do it. Becuase even though i have air tools, it is still a bitch of a job.

MEisGQ
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
ok... dont flame me for this... but i was thinking about getting an arbor press to take out the bushings on my T/C rod and future applications... i dont think the press comes with dyes and i didnt find any at harbor freight(didnt bother to ask)... well, unless my head is off somewhere (most likely)... it needs the die to press out the bushings right? also, how much are they? never had to use one (arbor press) but i understand its function... anyone help me out with this please...
-shawn

Replicant_S14
08-01-2005, 08:53 AM
.. i dont think the press comes with dyes -shawn

You'll just have to improvise. I have a box full of old bearing races, sockets and steel tubing etc. that I use for that. An arbor press is going to be a pain in the ass unless it's huge.... and unless you're Hulk Hogan.

upSLIDEdown
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, you realize you replied to an ancient thread right? LOL. O well, while it's back, I just want to let anyone know that runs across this thread, that it isn't anywhere near as hard as Jung918 made it out to be. I just did it today. The press method was a little scary, so I tried the torch. It was cake. I used a little $12 handheld propane torch from Lowes. Just heat the inner sleeve on each side till it's scorching hot. Once it's hot enough, the rubber will start oozing out each side of the bushing. Heat it for a few more seconds... yes the rubber will catch on fire, so make sure there isn't anything flammable around it). Once it starts oozing out the sides, I put a fairly large punch in the center and hit it with a hammer and the center popped right out. Then all you have is a little extra rubber and the outer metal sleeve. Take a hacksaw or a sawzall and cut a slit in the outer sleeve and it'll come right out. Took me MAYBE 45 minutes to an hour to torch out the bushings.

Bryan

KOUKI KA-T
08-10-2005, 02:19 PM
I bought a small press from Harbor freight about 6 months ago for 60$ shipped. Took about 20 minutes total to press out old tension rod bushings and press in new Nismo ones. Just find pieces of piping that is the same diameter as the metal rings on the bushings and they pop right out. I have no idea why shops can't handle it, it's pretty damn easy. I'm replacing all the bushings in the rear knuckles tonight, I don't expect it to be difficult at all.

EDIT: Jesus this thread is old, now I hate myself for replying.

Jung918
08-10-2005, 06:28 PM
hahahah.... I'm done with ym busings. The press is just sitting in corner of the garage. I didn't have the right drifts to press them out. Plus I think 12 tons isn't enough. I finished it up with a propane torch and a sawzell. Make sure you got acouple of blades. I tank for the torch should be enough. You will probally sit there for a good 2 mintues burning the bushings out. Upslidedown, if you finished all the bushings in less then an hour, you must have some crazy strength. Maybe lay off the steriods. For some reason, the bushings took forever. You can't press out the rear control arm busings. The stock bushings have a metal lip on the outside. So you have to press from inward out. Good luck man. One more thing, burn the bushings outside and probally above the grass.

pootiethang
09-10-2005, 12:21 AM
im trying to do my bushings also... but ive come across the problem with my ball joints.... the ones that the whole hub sits on.... the rubber around the ball joint has been cracked and broken.... will i have to replace the whole arm or can i press out these ball joints and buy new ones? if so... where can i find these new ones? please help!

krustindumm
09-10-2005, 12:34 AM
I did my civic with a press, some of the bushings were taking 10klbs to get out.

I was using Snap-On impact sockets as dies :D

Jung918
09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
this is an old ass thread. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214252
I believe you can press out the ball joints but I just bought all new control arms.

whitey240
09-10-2005, 11:24 PM
just started working on the bushing kit today... so far so good. took about all day to get everything disassembled and then put the new bushings in. tomorrow reassemble and should be good to go. I don't how people say they can not see an improvement. My bushings on my 93 were beat to shit, and the stoutness of the new bushings look much better.

pootiethang
09-11-2005, 12:34 AM
this is an old ass thread. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214252
I believe you can press out the ball joints but I just bought all new control arms.

yeah... thats pretty much what im going to do.... where did you buy your control arms from?? any recommendations?

Jung918
09-11-2005, 11:54 AM
performance nissan in duarte. I got all my OEM parts from them.