PDA

View Full Version : cracked valve cover

Mr. Spool
11-22-2004, 02:58 PM
I have just go a new engine from a guy off nico boards. However there is a crack in the valve cover above the timing chain and I believe a small peice has fallen down into the timing chain cover. so my question is should I pull the front cover off and look for the small piece. I would assume so, If I pull the cover, How hard is it to put back on. Thanks.

MakotoS13
11-22-2004, 03:04 PM
valve covers are easy. pull it and look around before you crank that hoe. if you don't and ANYTHING goes wrong you'll regret it. JB weld it up till you can find another cover after ya get it sorted out.

Mr. Spool
11-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I have another cover for it sitting around, I was going to pull the valve cover and look. then pull the front timing chain cover. however would it be better to pull the oil pan and check in there. or should I check in the front timing chain cover. thanks.

Pudula
11-22-2004, 04:44 PM
If you are sure it fell down there, I would start with the oil pan and if it doesn't show up, then take off the front cover.

Ryan

RBS14
11-22-2004, 06:23 PM
^^^^^^

I concur.

Mr. Spool
11-22-2004, 09:10 PM
I took off the valve cover and took a look, what I found was several metal shavings on the inside of the cover. I plan on pouring oil down the front cover and through the engine, which will hopefully flush it out. does this sound like a resonable thing to do?

sr240mike
11-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Did he say how the front cover cracked? Is the upper chain guide still there and is the chain tension tight?

Mr. Spool
11-24-2004, 08:09 PM
it was cracked in a wreck, a branch hit it. the chain tensioner is still tight. with no damage in there. however the chain is not to tight. I am guessing becouse there is no oil pressure. I am going to drop the pan but I guesse if I find nothing in there I should be alright.