PDA

View Full Version : Engine stand bolt scratched flywheel. Do I need to replace?

AndrewS13
02-28-2020, 07:46 PM
I have a sr20det on an engine stand. I was going to do a leak down test and started to hand crank the engine to get the cylinder to top dead center. After a small turn it felt bound up and after investigating I noticed one of the engine stand bolts had caught the edge of the fly wheel and scratched it.

The scratch is about 1mm deep and on the inside edge of the friction plate. It's about 1.5" long. I can get pictures if needed. Do you guys think the flywheel is still useable? The flywheel is in perfect shape otherwise.

mechanicalmoron
02-28-2020, 08:26 PM
Make sure there's no burr. Not touching that much surface would be fine, having a raised area where it plowed the surface up could cause a ring of wear into the disc, which then won't contact that ring of the flywheel very well, and will groove the whole thing and make it shitty, especially on the outside area, where slip is faster and more important to smooth engagement.

Use a straitedge and light, like you're checking a head.

AndrewS13
02-28-2020, 08:33 PM
Make sure there's no burr. Not touching that much surface would be fine, having a raised area where it plowed the surface up could cause a ring of wear into the disc, which then won't contact that ring of the flywheel very well, and will groove the whole thing and make it shitty, especially on the outside area, where slip is faster and more important to smooth engagement.

Use a straitedge and light, like you're checking a head.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'll be taking the motor off of the engine stand to add space and will check the flywheel then to ensure it's straight.

If it created an edge, would I be able to get the flywheel resurfaced and be okay?

mechanicalmoron
02-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the detailed reply. I'll be taking the motor off of the engine stand to add space and will check the flywheel then to ensure it's straight.

If it created an edge, would I be able to get the flywheel resurfaced and be okay?

Yeah, as long as they get a tool pattern on the whole thing, so you know there's nothing raised, it should take almost no time or meat at all.

jr_ss
03-04-2020, 12:08 PM
I’d inspect and take a metal file to get the edge down. I don’t think resurfacing the flywheel is really necessary for this.