PDA

View Full Version : SR20det Lost Shim? Help?

ronnieronron
02-17-2020, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone, i broke a rocker arm on cylinder #2 exhaust side. with that being said. both shims popped out. I found one. Non guided shim. Im having a difficult time finding the other one.
Any suggestions where i should look before i pull the oil pan?

Thanks

S14rebuild
02-17-2020, 07:05 PM
Its either in the head or found its way into the oil pan....id be more concerned with that valve through.......

TheRealSy90
02-18-2020, 09:33 AM
90% of the time they fall down into the oil pan. Just check and double check every nook and cranny inside the head again before you run it. The shims are good at hiding in there.

ronnieronron
02-18-2020, 10:53 AM
Its either in the head or found its way into the oil pan....id be more concerned with that valve through.......

As far as being bent?
or how.

Also it sounds like im going to look a little harder and then drop the pan i guess

S14rebuild
02-18-2020, 11:18 AM
As far as being bent?
or how.

Also it sounds like im going to look a little harder and then drop the pan i guess

Yes being bent just a precaution....

ronnieronron
02-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Yes being bent just a precaution....

understood. I compression test also. and let you guys know. appreciate the input

S14rebuild
02-18-2020, 12:30 PM
Kool good luck on the search and fingers crossed for a health motor

Might wanna look into dual guide shims now....never worry bout thrown rocker again

ronnieronron
02-18-2020, 01:55 PM
Kool good luck on the search and fingers crossed for a health motor

Might wanna look into dual guide shims now....never worry bout thrown rocker again

yeah i think im going to do that. my friends dad is a machinist so thatll help

S14rebuild
02-18-2020, 01:57 PM
Dam, must be nice, did mine with a dremel lol

Know lots of people in mylife that could help me with alot...still waitn to meet a machinist lol

ronnieronron
02-18-2020, 03:19 PM

Know lots of people in mylife that could help me with alot...still waitn to meet a machinist lol

i was curious how some people did it. i guess dremel might be the most budget. haha.
again thanks for the insight guys

TheRealSy90
02-18-2020, 03:44 PM
I've done multiple dual guide mods using my old bench grinder. The popular "dual guide mod" video I made years ago is on youtube and I still use that same grinder.

ronnieronron
02-19-2020, 08:21 PM
I've done multiple dual guide mods using my old bench grinder. The popular "dual guide mod" video I made years ago is on youtube and I still use that same grinder.
No luck in the oil pan:(
There was also no metal shaving in the filter or at the bottom of the pan. :/ im going to keep looking it was getting dark and maybe more sun might help

ronnieronron
02-19-2020, 08:22 PM

Wasnt sure how to multi quote