PDA

View Full Version : size of tension rod bracket bolt??? HELP PLEASE

bobafett
11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
i just noticed a very scary thing on my car:

the tension rod bolts into the tension rod bracket, which is supposed to be bolted into the frame. well my passenger side tension rod bracket is not installed with any bolts whatso ever, the only thing keeping the brakes and whatnot in place is the sway bar from the looks of it. and the tension rod, but its not fixed like it should be.

i already called nissan, and they were no help and told me they couldnt even sell me those bolts, not to mention he insisted there were 3 bolts that bolt it to the frame, even though chilton, FSM etc, and my EYES only show two, so i know he would have given me wrong specs even if he could have gotten that information.

basically i have to remove the bolts from the good side, and take them down to the hardware store today to match them up, but i am concerned that its under pressure, and if i remove this bolt that it will be a bitch to line up again.

so who knows the right size and length for the bolts that hold in the tension rod bracket to the frame. if anyone doesnt know which one i am talking about, i can post a pic

thanks in advance

projectRDM
11-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Go to the Nissan dealership, crawl under an Xterra with the tow package, and take one of the bolts out of the trailer hitch. They work perfect.

Seriously, there are three bolts, two 17mm through the core support, and one 14mm through the lower radiator bracket. I've got a ton of them, PM me your address.

And they ARE available, your parts guy is just lazy.

bobafett
11-18-2004, 07:40 PM
thanks will do! im pretty sure there is not 3 bolts. this is the pic i got from the FSM, looks like only 2 bolts, i will take another look later, anyway.

i will pm you my addy if you still want to send me those bolts! i appreciate it.

http://www.digitalsurrender.com/240/tensionrodbracketbolts.gif

im not sure about the blue highlights, but the red ones look like the only bolts. ;)

Ritz S14
11-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Looks like two bolts and one nut to me.

MELLO*SOS
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Why is there only one bolt in the front, there are obviously two bolt holes there, and if you look they're even drilled and tapped into the core support. I didn't know that there were only one bolt on either side in the front, so I picked up some bolts from Napa and installed them in the other set of holes. Could this do any harm, aside from strengthen that connection between the TR bracket and the core support?