PDA

View Full Version : New owner looking for reassurance

chemy86
04-15-2019, 02:46 PM
So i finally bought an s13 with an RB20det. Took it to the shop and discovered slow leaks for power steering AND the clutch. And possibly coolant too but not sure.

Did i goof bad?

firejackal
04-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Those are very minor issues. Even more minor then engine oil leaks which is usually a seal that needs replaced.

Power steering is most likely going to leak at the hoses which will need replaced.
Clutch is going to probably be both the master and slave cylinder, and maybe line.

But these are common wear items that have to be replaced every so many thousands of miles anyways. And the parts are not terrible in cost either.

Don't let that shop try to screw you over on extra charges, things that don't need replaced asap, have someone you trust do the repairs or learn how to do them yourself. You'll appreciate the car a lot more if can do those things.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Kingtal0n
04-15-2019, 09:40 PM
All 240s leak power steering fluid, thats their gift to the road

Farzam
04-16-2019, 06:41 AM
Idk dude sounds fucked. PM me if you wanna sell it for cheap and wipe your hands clean of it

silviaks2nr
04-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Well, it sounds like you bought a 25+ year old car! ;) Get some tools!

da_crew10
04-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Well, it sounds like you bought a 25+ year old car!!

:ddog: This^^^

brndck
04-16-2019, 09:54 AM
+1 for all 240s leak p/s fluid

the clutch is leaking? easy enough to replace a clutch line with a new stainless braided line. if yours is still the original/factory one, delete the clutch damper at the same time

chemy86
04-16-2019, 12:38 PM
That's such a huge relief lol thanks. i guess i can keep the fluids topped off until i get it fixed? I also noticed that the aftermarket oil press guage is showing 0 pressure.. hopefully it's just disconnected but is there a way to check if the oil pump is working?

chemy86
04-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Idk dude sounds fucked. PM me if you wanna sell it for cheap and wipe your hands clean of it

Lol I'll definitely kep that as an option

brndck
04-16-2019, 01:15 PM
That's such a huge relief lol thanks. i guess i can keep the fluids topped off until i get it fixed? I also noticed that the aftermarket oil press guage is showing 0 pressure.. hopefully it's just disconnected but is there a way to check if the oil pump is working?

you def need to verify if the gauge is hooked up or not
if the engine hasn't spun a bearing yet, its probably just not hooked up, but verify before putting miles on the car.

brndck
04-16-2019, 01:16 PM
also, did you find out if its leaking coolant??? if so, from where???
any mechanic shop worth a shit will have a pressure test kit that can help determine where its leaking

5280VertDET
04-16-2019, 03:13 PM
any mechanic shop worth a shit will have a pressure test kit that can help determine where its leaking

Also you can rent them at Auto Zone or similar, also you can get a UV dye kit for your steering fluid (and likewise for the coolant if its not obvious) and use a black light to trace it to the source.

chemy86
04-16-2019, 03:47 PM

it is leaking coolant unfortunately. Time to sink some money into this thing lol

chemy86
04-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Also you can rent them at Auto Zone or similar, also you can get a UV dye kit for your steering fluid (and likewise for the coolant if its not obvious) and use a black light to trace it to the source.

Thanks, ill look into the auto zone kit. As for the steering, it looks like its coming from the boot at the steering rack. not good :(

brndck
04-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Thanks, ill look into the auto zone kit. As for the steering, it looks like its coming from the boot at the steering rack. not good :(

its not uncommon for a small amount of fluid to be in that area. like 1/2oz. Imagine the cap of a 20oz coke bottle. That much or less and I wouldn't worry about it. If its more than that, time for a new rack.

chemy86
04-16-2019, 04:16 PM
its not uncommon for a small amount of fluid to be in that area. like 1/2oz. Imagine the cap of a 20oz coke bottle. That much or less and I wouldn't worry about it. If its more than that, time for a new rack.

no drips this morning on the ground when i checked. but you can hear the pump whirring when steering :/ ill top the fluid off for now and hope theres no air in there

chemy86
04-16-2019, 05:26 PM

interesting. There were no drips on the ground letting it sit overnight. should i play with the wheel while running and see if that causes it to drip?

dizzariot
04-16-2019, 10:34 PM
...this is in the wrong section. Again. Damn man, I can't even get a position as mod.

Half of you in here would bitch at this thread one day and today y'all are helpful. Direct this poor soul to the right section, and help them there. Fuck.

k00laid83
04-17-2019, 12:50 PM
If you decide to upgrade your power steering system and need power steering rack fittings let me know.

FaLKoN240
04-17-2019, 04:05 PM
...this is in the wrong section. Again. Damn man, I can't even get a position as mod.

Half of you in here would bitch at this thread one day and today y'all are helpful. Direct this poor soul to the right section, and help them there. Fuck.

And you didn't report the thread yourself so... you're just as guilty.

jedi03
04-19-2019, 07:37 AM
oooooOOOOOOOoooo! shots fired!

dizzariot
04-19-2019, 06:43 PM
And you didn't report the thread yourself so... you're just as guilty.

...you not wrong.

I'd comment and ask the OP to reach out to a mod. I've done it in the past to the desired effect. Notes for the future, I suppose.