PDA

View Full Version : seafoam sludge,

mjjstang
11-05-2004, 02:42 PM
ok I know there is tons of talk about seafoam, and im not going to ask how to use it, well besides, one quick question, is it stupid to use 3 cans, instead of 1/3 the bottle in each, some people do it one way some the other, but the other thing was someone told me, thatyou have to take the oil pan off and clean it after you put it in the oil, like there is so much sludge that you have to take it off to get to it, ive never heard this before. thnx.

sr240mike
11-05-2004, 03:05 PM
I highly recommend dropping the oilpan afterwards. I did an oil system flush after having a stuck lifter and a hole bunch of sludge was in the pan. If you dont clean it out you run the risk of clogging the oil pump, losing oil pressure, and blowing your motor.

idlafie
11-06-2004, 10:28 AM
ok I know there is tons of talk about seafoam, and im not going to ask how to use it, well besides, one quick question, is it stupid to use 3 cans, instead of 1/3 the bottle in each, some people do it one way some the other, but the other thing was someone told me, thatyou have to take the oil pan off and clean it after you put it in the oil, like there is so much sludge that you have to take it off to get to it, ive never heard this before. thnx.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

If you check their website, Seafoam is a pretty much a concentrated petroleum additive that doesn't require much to do it's job. If you want to use three cans, sure go right ahead. I'm sure once you're done using it, your intake manifold, crankcase & gas tank will be SQUEAKY clean!!! :)
Pouring a can in the crankcase BEFORE every oil change sure helps to make sure you get all the sludge out. Just remember to flush the excess Seafoam out by pouring half a bottle of NEW motor oil into the engine & draining it before you add the NEW oil. If you don't drain the half bottle you added of the NEW oil, you'll dilute the NEW oil & the new oil won't work as good at protecting your engine. As for the manifold & gas tank, just use it sparingly in the manifold & gas tank. You might melt the honeycomb lattice inside your catalytic converter.
ID
'95 SE

mjjstang
11-06-2004, 12:51 PM
what cat converter? lol, but anyway, thanks for the responses, I think ill pick some up today.

mjjstang
11-06-2004, 04:03 PM
ok well i did the seafoam in the vaccum. a full bottle. and its still smoking after like 45 minutes, os i took it around the sub, and now its smokin a lil more, it seems white, but as its gettting darker outside, it seems theres a hint of blue, and I never really smelt burning oil, call me crazy, but so far ive never needed to. but is it normal to smoke for so long, not nearly like what it was doin but still.

sepulchral
11-06-2004, 06:35 PM
yeah that shit will take 2-3 hrs driving time to clear out

sr240mike
11-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah it can take awhile. You just loosened up a bunch of crap and now its all got to burn off. I wouldnt drive it too hard though until the smoke dissapates.

HyperTek
11-07-2004, 01:20 AM
geez your guys engines must be really bad...

I poured half into gas tank, and the rest into bbrake booster line, and the lines going into the throttle body. then I did another treatment same procedure 2 weeks later.. and my emissions are way down now (yah i finally passed!!).

I didnt feel it was needed to do my oil since I am sure it might cause a oil leak.

mjjstang
11-07-2004, 09:24 AM
yah so it finally quit smoking, and I was thinking the same thing about the oil, donno if im going to do it or not.

andrave
11-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I was told when you add seafoam you should drive the piss out of your car to make sure it works through the system and gets everything loose.

mjjstang
11-07-2004, 01:40 PM
hmmm yah but I couldnt cause my neighbors would have called the cops on me, even then I was sweatin it doin it in my driveway, but maybe one day ill go get another can and do it at night or something. I know u cant drive it when u do the crankcase, but i also though u were supposed to idle it when doing the vacuum part, oh welll ill just read the directions agoain i guess.

SpdElemts
11-07-2004, 02:36 PM
What should i do to an engine that has been sitting for awile before i start it up?

Thanks

mjjstang
11-07-2004, 03:49 PM
wow, that came way out of left feild, put a cap and a half full of oil, (thats how much they told me to put) into each cylindar, and let it soak, and um well my valve cover was off so i lubed up the valve train for a while, then when u go to start up, unplug your injectors from the harness and the coil pack, and crank it over a few times to prime the engine. thats all I did, dont drive hard, let it idle for awhile, .