PDA

View Full Version : 5spd swap, no start issue

crash n' burn
10-02-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm about to throw this whole damn car in the trash.

Did the 5spd swap on my ka24e(right? ha, I was bored and had all the parts), everything is as it should be. Did the clutch interlock bypass and the reverse lights are hooked up right. I go to turn it over, and the starter is just spinning. I figure, ok, battery might not have enough gusto to energize the solenoid and kick the gear out.

/puts battery on charger, tests good (or so they say at O'reilly and holds 12.7V

Same issue.

Soo, I figure maybe the solenoid is dead and go buy a new starter to swap it in. Same. Fucking. Issue.

I've done my fair share of 5spd swaps in the past with no issue. Clutch is Exedy stg1 OEM because its not a racecar, new stock flywheel, dust plate is installed, everything was torqued twice over before installing the trans. Everything just looks right and I am at a loss for what holding this thing up.

nisileighty
10-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Take your starter off, ground it to a battery (anywhere on the starter) and strike the positive terminal with a jumper cable on the positive end of the same battery. If it still doesn’t jump out, take the whole thing apart and clean it out. I had the same issue with my SR, it was just stuck from years of shavings from spinning.

crash n' burn
10-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Take your starter off, ground it to a battery (anywhere on the starter) and strike the positive terminal with a jumper cable on the positive end of the same battery. If it still doesn’t jump out, take the whole thing apart and clean it out. I had the same issue with my SR, it was just stuck from years of shavings from spinning.

That'd make sense but the reman did exactly the same thing. I pulled the solenoid off the original and checked to make sure the lever wasn't damaged, its good. The gear moves freely, no excessive wear, etc. Its stumping me.

Think I may just go cop a sealed battery after work because I plan on relocating it anyways and i'd rather not have a traditional liquid filled in the trunk.

nisileighty
10-02-2018, 03:02 PM
i'd rather not have a traditional liquid filled in the trunk.

wat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash n' burn
10-02-2018, 05:32 PM
wat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id rather have something like an AGM odyssey battery or Optima at the very minimum versus the wet cell that's in it. Not too fond of the idea of wet cell inside of a car. Had one in my e30 almost explode.

crash n' burn
10-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Bench tested the original starter with the battery, it's working perfectly. I figured maybe it needed an extra ground, so I used a jumper cable to clamp onto the body and hooked it straight to the negative terminal, no change.

I cross referenced numbers for manual and automatic 240s, same part number for starters like I knew it was. Flywheel and flexplate are the same diameter too.

I just dont know what's going on. I really dont feel like pulling the trans back out but the only thing I can think of is the flywheel isn't the correct size? Crazy because it's a ka24e/de kit and they're all interchangeable from what remember.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1936/45089910921_d2903dfe78_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bGrzBg)