PDA

View Full Version : DIY Short Shifter?

NismoDan
11-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Anyone had any luck turning a stock shifter into a shorter-throw shifter in any way?

I have an extra stock shifter sitting around, and thought I'd mess with it.

Thanks!
-Dan

RedlineRacer
11-03-2004, 04:38 PM
you can't unless you want cut and reweld the bottom to change the fulcrum of the shifter. cutting the top shorter will not make it have any less of a throw.

nismostate
11-03-2004, 09:23 PM
i think it'll be cheaper to just buy a short shifter off of ebay.

axiomatik
11-03-2004, 10:00 PM
cutting the top will decrease the throw, just not as much as modifying the bottom (damn near impossible). However, you can't remove much since it is a two piece, and the wider area where the two pieces join will get in the way.

Andrew Bohan
11-03-2004, 11:04 PM
it'll reduce overall throw distance, but not the change in angle of the stick, which is what a real short shifter does.

HyperTek
11-04-2004, 12:58 AM
i think it looks stupid when your shifter is wayyyyyy down there... i dont mind it closer to me instead of reaching more for it just to have a shorter distance.

aznpoopy
11-04-2004, 03:46 AM
short shifter is a waste of money imo... the stock shifter doesn't limit how fast you can shift. if you feel it's too slow then your arm isn't moving fast enough or your timing with your feet / rpms really sucks.

a short shifter will also increase the lag moving from wheel to shifter. personally i think the civic si shifter looks like ass but its in a really good position... very quick switch from the steering wheel.

brianglawson
11-04-2004, 04:24 AM
i was an ss, ive been driving a v-dub for a while while my body work is being done, and now when i hop in my car and take it around the block it is a royal pain in the ass to shift, i feel like im drving a truck

Red
11-04-2004, 10:07 PM
I say B&M all the way...

The stock shifter is sloppy.

The B&M made it all nice and snug.

rps13sh
11-04-2004, 10:10 PM
b&m is too close for comfort. my bro mis shifted with his. and i TOLD him it was a bad idea cause it was just too much. in my opinion C's is PERFECT. if you wanna go ghetto i heard obx replicates C's but its not as high quality.