PDA

View Full Version : RB25DET transmission rebuild needed?

Almosttt
05-27-2018, 12:10 AM
I bought an RB25DET Series 1 swapped S14 about two months ago. Pretty sure the guy had it shipped with the original tranny. About a month ago the transmission started making this whining and slight grinding noise. The noise goes away when the clutch is pushed in, I think this suggests it is not the TOB but a bearing in the actual transmission.

I'm curious what I should do, and how long I can let it go like it is. Should I look for a rebuild kit? Should I buy a new/refurbished transmission? What is the model number of the transmission? Is there a better transmission that works with this setup I should get instead?

Sorry I don't have much experience with RB's or even swaps in general so I may have gotten in a little over my head :/

Yellow4g63
05-27-2018, 03:10 AM
clutch in and noise stops its the TOB.

kyral
05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
in the case of a bad bearing a rebuilds not bad. getting a kit and parts and someone who knows how to do it might be difficult.

its probably the input shaft bearing. does it make noise in neutral?

if its actually whining that's bad that means somethings shifted and rubbing something else

a hissing or bearing noise would be a better situation my trans makes all sorts of soft bearing noises. I just load it up with lucas oil stabilizer and made my fluid really thick
I have had no issues but if its whining or any zipper noises that's bad

Thedriftbadger
05-28-2018, 12:51 PM
If it was the tob it would make the noise when you press the pedal. Since it makes noise when the pedal is released it's the input shaft bearing. I drove my car with this noise for years and it never got any worse. Just replace it next time you have the trans out for clutch replacement or whatever. It's not dire. Make sure the fluid is full and is the correct type.

kyral
05-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Input shaft bearing and input shaft pilot bearings are different btw I think ppl might be getting them confused

Thedriftbadger
05-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Input shaft bearing and input shaft pilot bearings are different btw I think ppl might be getting them confused

The pilot bearing only spins when the clutch is disengaged (pedal pressed), i'd assume it would mimic the sound of a bad throw out bearing if anything. Either way, you're replacing both if one goes bad. Sound when pedal pushed/clutch disengaged: throw out or pilot bearing. Sound when pedal released/clutch engaged: input shaft bearing.