PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to burn out the starter

oLemurs
03-01-2018, 05:15 PM
what im saying is when i tried to start my car after it sitting for a while it wont even turn over, i have everything bypassed so i push a button and it starts so essentially when i flip the starter signal wire it will turn on even without a key in the ignition but heres where i possibly messed up. i put a screw behind my switch panel to hold it in but im thinking the switch possibly jumped the two connectors together and eventually burnt it out. i did see some weird smoke coming from near the intake manifold and im just wondering what would happen if i were to just hold down the starter for about a minute or two.

jumpman2334
03-01-2018, 05:19 PM
yes. it is possible to burn out a starter.

yes. it is not good for your to crank the starter for 1-2 minutes. it can burn it out or shorten the life span of it.

oLemurs
03-01-2018, 06:08 PM
yes. it is possible to burn out a starter.

yes. it is not good for your to crank the starter for 1-2 minutes. it can burn it out or shorten the life span of it.

no i mean it was running while the engine was running (assuming the screw did jump it)

snags
03-01-2018, 07:42 PM
you would hear it, its very loud. if you were to engage the starter at above like 5000 rpm i think the starter wheel would break off.
Jump the starter to see if it is your wiring or the starter itself

oLemurs
03-03-2018, 03:21 PM
just an update, i went under the car and saw somehow the ground for the starter came off (makes no sense to me because i didnt drive it or anything)

Kingtal0n
03-03-2018, 04:40 PM
what ground???! (worried )

starter grounds through engine so... your engine came off the starter? again, worried XD

oLemurs
03-04-2018, 09:24 PM
what ground???! (worried )

starter grounds through engine so... your engine came off the starter? again, worried XD
noooo the little wire that goes from the starter itself to the starter solenoid was bolted down but it just wiggled out i guess

jedi03
03-05-2018, 09:18 AM
that's the signal wire! lol I like reading through these, some people have great comments! it can come off if its not tight...I usually take some pliers and squeeze it tight to ensure it doesn't come off

oLemurs
03-08-2018, 02:03 PM
that's the signal wire! lol I like reading through these, some people have great comments! it can come off if its not tight...I usually take some pliers and squeeze it tight to ensure it doesn't come off

it was definately just the ground that needed to be tightened on by a bolt