PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid level

95se
02-23-2018, 04:04 PM
My ps fluid has been low after my rack came back and put back in. Don't know why but wasn't sure what they put in it so I just kept an eye on it to see if was getting lower. It didn't seem too. I noticed a roaring or screaching noise a couple of times then it cold outside. Then I heard a buzzing noise mainly after startup a week ago. Was sick so wasn't able to get it in right away. It seemed better when it warmed up. Am taking it back to shop on tues. They said in mean time I could put fluid in it so I added valvoline dextron. The fluid came up about halfway in the reservoir. I think there is a leak now but its not making any noise today. Was it low enough to damage the system? He mentioned that there could have been air in system so level dropped after they put fluid in but wouldn't have thought it would drop that much.

tuzzio
02-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Nissan recommends running ATF in the power steering system, so I hope thats what you put in.

Also, depending on the size of the air pocket, it could dramatically drop. Sounds like your pump was struggling because it was low.

95se
02-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Yes dextron atf.

95se
02-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Dextron is atf. I sure hope it didn't damage the rack before I added fluid. I waited 7 weeks before they got the rack back from being rebuilt.