PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 Solid lifters with stock cams

Silvi
12-16-2017, 03:38 AM
Will it work to run stock cams with the solid lifters? (After shiming)

Thanks!

b.series
12-16-2017, 06:15 AM
yes but what is the point? stock SR cams suck!!!!!!

Silvi
12-16-2017, 07:51 AM
Im not looking for different power output or re-tuning..Just the same engine setup but more reliable using solid lifters (rocker jumped twice)
Change stock cams to procams will make the powerband much worse

Kingtal0n
12-16-2017, 08:21 AM
If you are jumping rockers you must be overspinning the engine, or have weak valve springs. A stock engine should hit 7k and bounce from the rev-limiter there without issue. Try new valve springs or lowering the redline. A stock cam only makes power to like 5500 rpm anyways; so you shouldn't be spinning much past that point to begin with.

Silvi
12-16-2017, 10:30 AM
The rev limitier was set to 7400 for like 6 years
never happened before...even after hard track days

As I know its a common problem with the Sr's, I also change the shims with guides to prevent the options it will throw a rocker again

derass
12-16-2017, 11:18 AM
A stock cam only makes power to like 5500 rpm anyways; so you shouldn't be spinning much past that point to begin with.

That's not fair. More like 6500.

In any case, solid vs hydraulic lifters are only part of the problem. The root cause is the floating rocker design. And that is only remedied by going to a VE head with shaft-mounted rockers. Those can't be thrown anywhere. Or a GM Lxx V8. Or a RB or JZ whose valvetrain use cam-followers.

b.series
12-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Im not looking for different power output or re-tuning..Just the same engine setup but more reliable using solid lifters (rocker jumped twice)
Change stock cams to procams will make the powerband much worse

Got it. Make sense had the same happen to me. Solid lifters and dual rocker guides will solve that problem . So to answer your question YES stock cams will work, please ensure to shim correctly.

hanzbrady
12-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Uh, no this will not work. There's a reason that Tomei has different grinds for solids and hydraulic camshafts. The ramp angle is drastically different.

You can physically install your oem camshafts with solid lifters and even run the engine for a bit, but taking a camshaft that's designed to operate at 0 clearance and running it at .008" clearance or whatever it is that Tomei calls for these days is not a good idea.

The end result will be a noisier SR that has more valvetrain issues. Just spend the extra $380 and spring for a set of solid 260's from Tomei they work great until the 400HP or so mark and will make your engine happier throughout the rev range which will make you happier.

pacotaco345
12-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Something tells me that if you aren't capable of doing the research to know if you can use stock cams with solid lifters you also lack the patience to properly shim a solid lifter setup. Solid lifters won't solve a crooked rocker.. if anything they'll make the problem worse

*note that the only reason SRs blow rocker arms in the first place is because people misplace the order of the shims when they take the heads apart. I've had my rev limit set at 7800 on stock valvesprings and poncams for 2 years without issue