PDA

View Full Version : power steering prob(yes i did a search already)

240SX21
10-25-2004, 08:24 AM
ok guys i did a search on the forums and it seems like everyone who has had power steering problems have had a slow steady leak...but my pump wont even take in any fluid. the second i start my car up the pump itself sprays out all the fluid....the strange part is that its not coming from the lines...its coming from the pump itself(the bottom side of the pump)....does this mean that the pump is hopeless and i just need a new one...or is there something i can do? ive heard that a lot of you guys use ATF instead of power steering fluid...anyone think that will help at all? or is this type of leak too major to be fixed that easily? any help is apprecaited, thanks.

HockeyMatt04
10-25-2004, 11:20 AM
yea, use ATF, that solved mine.... until i took it out for weight-removal

Thunderchicken
10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Well Dexron ATF is the recommended fluid for the PS system. Drain the system and try the ATF. If it still leaks then maybe the gasket inside the pump is smoked. In that case you would need a different pump or you would need to rebuild your pump if that is possible. Good luck.

idlafie
10-26-2004, 02:31 AM
... the second i start my car up the pump itself sprays out all the fluid....the strange part is that its not coming from the lines...its coming from the pump itself(the bottom side of the pump)....does this mean that the pump is hopeless and i just need a new one...or is there something i can do?

The reason why your power steering pump failed is because power steering systems are generally subjected to harsh temperatures leading to fluid deterioration over time. Through constant use and high operating pressures, other types of wear materials are also generated that degrade the system. The result of this high operating pressure and heat is fluid breakdown, contamination, loss of lubricating properties, and varnish deposits. When power steering fluid circulates throughout the system of the pump and gear, it picks up wear material as well as contamination from the breakdown of aging hoses and seals. That wear material is what probably killed your o-rings & seals. Only way you're gonna know for sure is to take the pump apart & inspect it.
Well...unless you plan on rebuilding your power steering pump, (don't even know if Nissan actually makes a rebuild gasket/o-ring/seal kit for the p/s pump), you might as well just go out and replace your p/s pump.
As for what type of fluid to put in the replacement, Stick with Dexron II, (or equivalent), ATF fluid. Don't ask me why but Nissan uses the Dexron II ATF fluid as the power steering fluid. Don't ask me why cuz I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is between the two!! Anybody know what the chemical property breakdown is of power steering fluid & automatic transmission fluid???
Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID
'95 SE

240SX21
10-26-2004, 05:27 PM
k thanks for ur help guys...yea ill try the atf...ive been using regular power steering fluid..

psychedelicbeats
10-26-2004, 05:37 PM
use dexron iii micron atf fluid. bleed the ps system too if it is sputtering.

240SX21
10-27-2004, 01:06 PM
how would i go about bleeding the p.s. system? ive bled the clutch system before but ive never done power steering....

RBS14
10-27-2004, 03:44 PM
get a power steering cooler. it's so easy to put in, and so cheap. Used ones out of SUV's go for like $15 shipped all the time on ebay. Then you just get some new 3/8" transmission oil cooler hose and plumb the cooler in where the return line goes from the rack to the reservoir. Really easy, took me like 1/2 an hour. so it goes:

steering rack -> cooler -> reservoir. Voila!

Thunderchicken
10-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Bleeding Power Steering
1. Raise front end of vehicle until wheels clear ground.
2. Add fluid into oil tank to specified level. Meanwhile, quickly turn steering wheel fully to right and left and lightly touch steering stoppers. Repeat steering wheel operation until fluid level no longer decreases.
3. Start engine. Repeat step 2.

Incomplete air bleeding will cause the following to occur.
a. Generation of air bubbles in reservoir tank.
b. Generation of clicking noise in oil pump
c. Excessive buzzing in oil pump

There you go.

Pacman
10-27-2004, 06:59 PM
So I should've used used ATF when I replaced my high pressure hose and filled the system up? I used Valvoline syn-bled P/S fluid, is that bad?