PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 boost leak test questions

ImThatGuy
12-06-2017, 09:31 AM
I have the leak tester setup for gauge and air inlet on the same fitting so it can be put on the intake and pressurized.

Is there anywhere that should "leak" normally like crankcase breather T fitting or anything I need to know about prior to testing? I have soapy water ready and will be pressurizing to 25 psi.

Thanks

TheRealSy90
12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
If you've got air coming out of the crank case then you've probably got blown rings or valve stem seals.

ImThatGuy
12-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Well its not necessarily the crankcase, but the crankcase breather T fitting. Read it could be the pcv is bad.

TheRealSy90
12-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Correct, the PCV valve should be closing when you pressurize the system. If it's open it would let air through to the valve cover. It should be a one way valve, only drawing air into the intake manifold when out of boost.

ImThatGuy
12-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Ok, perfect. This should confirm my pcv is bad and needs to be replaced. I will block it off for further testing and see if anything else is leaking.

Last time I had to do a boost leak test was so many years ago so I am trying to get a refresher on what is "normal"

Thanks for the info!