PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Gunked Up Tranny Bellhousing

Brandon240sx
10-25-2017, 08:56 PM
I’m currently in the middle of a 5 speed swap. My 5 speed tranny has a lot of gunked up shit and dirt built up inside the bellhousing. What’s a good way to clean all of that shit in there?? Wanted to spray it down with purple power then power wash it since that’s the easiest way but don’t want to fuck up any seals or anything.

anti tyler
10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
I’m currently in the middle of a 5 speed swap. My 5 speed tranny has a lot of gunked up shit and dirt built up inside the bellhousing. What’s a good way to clean all of that shit in there?? Wanted to spray it down with purple power then power wash it since that’s the easiest way but don’t want to fuck up any seals or anything.

If you're spraying inside the bell housing just don't blast the seal and you'll be fine.

You can take some card board and layer it over the seal if you're worried.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over trying to get the inside of your bell housing spotless just because OCD. It's not even worth it.

TheRealSy90
10-25-2017, 10:03 PM
Just pressure wash it. You aren't going to hurt any seals unless you are aiming point blank right up on it with full power.

kyral
10-25-2017, 10:44 PM
wire brush for the bulk, and some brake cleaner will help get the rest (thats what i used i have OCD also). but id recomend doing the little input shaft seal while youve got it out of the car

Brandon240sx
10-25-2017, 10:50 PM
If you're spraying inside the bell housing just don't blast the seal and you'll be fine.

You can take some card board and layer it over the seal if you're worried.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over trying to get the inside of your bell housing spotless just because OCD. It's not even worth it.

Wasn’t planning on going crazy over it just wanted to get it somewhat clean. I mean anything is better then what it is now

Brandon240sx
10-25-2017, 10:52 PM
Just pressure wash it. You aren't going to hurt any seals unless you are aiming point blank right up on it with full power.

Using some type of degreaser wouldn’t hurt the seals ? Obviously wouldn’t look to spray and coat the seals but say a little got on them

Brandon240sx
10-25-2017, 10:52 PM
wire brush for the bulk, and some brake cleaner will help get the rest (thats what i used i have OCD also). but id recomend doing the little input shaft seal while youve got it out of the car

Sounds good

jedi03
10-26-2017, 08:02 AM
I pressure wash on the regular then get the rest with brake clean or laquer thinner and some rags...gets pretty much everything in a decent amount of time! brake clean will dry out seals a little...nothing to really worry about the rest don't do to much...but I agree replace seals while you are in there...better now than also to trash clutch...

Kingtal0n
10-27-2017, 11:35 PM
+1 for pressure wash followed by degreaser/brakecleaner/mineralspirits/or similar.