PDA

View Full Version : Strange KA24de no-start issue: Sparks once then nothing

obscene
07-31-2017, 11:00 AM
Hi!

So I've been putting together this KA24DE for the past few months and now that it's time to turn the key, I'm having the strangest no spark condition.

While set up to test for spark at the coil, I'll turn the key and get a single spark on the first crank, but then no spark as it continues cranking. I've been searching the depths of the internet for weeks now and haven't come across this scenario once.

Details:
Stock S13 KA24DE
brand new wiring specialties harness
brand new coil
brand new N62 maf
brand new plugs
brand new distributor/CAS
brand new plug wires
brand new rotor
brand new cap
RS Enthalpy tuned ECU

ECU displays code 55 aka "all good homie".

All grounds have been double triple checked and cleaned.

The car was originally an automatic so could there be anything in that wiring that would cut spark? I've jumped the plug below the fusebox, but could there be other signals required like a neutral switch or speed sensor?

Thank you!

w0nderbr3ad
07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Why would you need an RS enthalpy tune and a N62 maf for a stock ka24de? What is it tuned for?

Regardless, the first three I usually check are fuel, voltage, spark.

Voltage is easiest to check. Make sure connections to the coil are good, use a multimeter to verify voltage. Look for any plugs that may not have been plugged in all the way.

obscene
07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Why would you need an RS enthalpy tune and a N62 maf for a stock ka24de? What is it tuned for?

Regardless, the first three I usually check are fuel, voltage, spark.

Voltage is easiest to check. Make sure connections to the coil are good, use a multimeter to verify voltage. Look for any plugs that may not have been plugged in all the way.

Thanks, sorry I should clarify that it's a turbocharged stock KA24de. I'm with you on the fuel, voltage, spark.

Fuel is confirmed
Voltage at connectors and components is confirmed
Spark is one and done...

w0nderbr3ad
07-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Check that the firing order is correct and that plug wires are fully inserted. Scratched my head for a day to find my plug wires were in the wrong order. If firing order is good, double check timing and spark plug gap.

obscene
07-31-2017, 02:29 PM
I'm still just trying to get continuous spark at the coil, but thanks

obscene
08-07-2017, 12:35 PM
new ignition module arrives tomorrow. fingers crossed