PDA

View Full Version : Dual cam swap won't idle.

DaChazIn
07-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Okay. This is the main issue with the car at the moment. The car just won't idle. dual cam with 20k on the rebuild swapped into 89' hatch. came with a manual so i swapped it over to manual at the same time. I've checked fuel rail and injectors and they're all squirting equally. cleaned maf. problem is no different with it unplugged. Cleaned iacv really well. Checked spark plugs and they smell like fuel but don't seem too fouled. There was a code for the knock sensor so i replaced it and the code went away but the problem is still the same. I don't think there are any vacuum leaks. Any ideas? I've been perusing forums everywhere and I've tried almost everything. As of right now I'm just getting a code for MAF sensor. After I installed it after cleaning.

please help :confused:

slow40sx
07-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Do you have a filter on the maf? Because it is possible air from your fan and cause turbulence in the air entering the maf which will make it hard for the maf to read and it will die, also will it stay running it you give it gas?

DaChazIn
07-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Yes filter is on. And sort of if I give it gas. I have to give it a lot though it wants to rev to about 4500-6000 anything lower it'll just bog.

slow40sx
07-09-2017, 09:28 PM
I would definitely start checking for vacuum leaks first, sounds like a serious vacuum leak to me

S-Nation S13
07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
MAF used or new, you could possible have gotten a bad maf? I mean you cleaned it (I'm assuming you sprayed the wire with maf cleaner and NOT brake cleaner since the solution in brake cleaner could actually mess up the wire) even after all that your still pulling a maf code so you could have a bad maf.

DTC 12 is what your error code is so I'm assuming is voltage related.

Checking condition of MAF EF & EC 160 (FSM)

Car on Engine off pin 1 should have approximately 0.2 V
Car on idle (warmed up suffciently) pin 1 should be 1.0-1.4 V

DaChazIn
07-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Maf came from donor car which was running fine. I used carb cleaner. Yes it's code 12. How do I check warm maf at idle if my car doesn't idle?

S-Nation S13
07-09-2017, 09:59 PM
well since your car doesn't idle, you can swap the maf to a friend of yours and check it that way (but this doesn't eliminate the fact that you could also have a wiring issue on your end) swapping the maf only checks the condition of the maf.

did you snag the DOHC harness as well for the swap?

DaChazIn
07-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Oh okay I'll try a friends. And yeah I got it all. Trans, motor, ecu, harness.

S-Nation S13
07-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Oh okay I'll try a friends. And yeah I got it all. Trans, motor, ecu, harness.

try that out pin 1 is what your checking (fold back the protective cover and insert a paper clip to fine the pin) YOU DO NOT DISCONNECT MAF it has to stay CONNECTED

PM me and ill send you a picture of the diag process from my FSM hope this helps

Mantis Toboggan
07-14-2017, 11:34 AM
I had the same issue on my s14. The pigtail on the MAF was fucked, had to wire in a new one which fixed it.

DaChazIn
07-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Figured it out guys. Vaccum leaks and injectors weren't seated properly. Thanks for the help anyways!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk