PDA

View Full Version : 1992 240SX runing warm...need help

pqsoccerboy17
10-13-2004, 05:40 PM
My car has the stock engine with nothing on it and i just got my timming chain fixed because it became loose over time & i also got the thermostat replaced, my car has 131,000 miles on it and its been runing warm (about 3/4 of the way to the top) ever since i got it. Does anyone know how i could fix it and or if this is just a normal thing for my car????

Thanks,
Mike

Flybert
10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Sounds kinda funny that it runs at 3/4. From what I've noticed about our temp gauges is that they have 3 settings, cold, medium, and hot as shit. Maybe there is something wrong with your temp gauge or temp sensor. Check for oil in the coolant overflow because you might have a blown head gasket. You can also do a compression check. How's the waterpump doing? Maybe it needs to be replaced. Maybe you can get a water temp gauge. It would be a good investment for any other performance endeavours you may have.

idlafie
10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
When was the last time you checked your coolant levels?? Running a little low??
Running warm or hot could be due to:
1). Air pocket in the cooling system - raise front end of car & shake while adding coolant.
2). Cracked radiator top/bottom - for plastic capped radiators - remove/replace or remove/fix
3). Partially clogged radiator - remove & chemically flush OR remove & replace
4). Defective thermostat - remove & replace with OEM Nissan thermostat ...some aftermarket thermostats can fail prematurely or not completely open up.
5). ruptured radiator hose....self explaintory...replace
6). blown head gasket/warped head....time for a new engine....indicator could be:
* Engine is overheating on a regular basis, for example after half an hour on the highway and then standing still for a red light. Note overheating is not 'in the red' but everything about 3/4 of the water temp gauge.
* You need to add a lot of coolant (or water) because the engine blows out quite some coolant regularly.
* You hear all kind of weird water running sounds in the engine bay while driving (this are the exhaust gases in the water circuit)

These are just a few indicators....

Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID
'95 SE

matt0481
10-14-2004, 06:11 AM
I had the same problem after replacing the timing chain. It was air in the system.

pqsoccerboy17
10-14-2004, 03:51 PM
I had the same problem after replacing the timing chain. It was air in the system.

how did you fix it??

theicecreamdan
10-14-2004, 11:09 PM
there is a bleeder screw on the front of the intake manifold where the upper radiator hose goes in there, bleed the air out of the system, there are writeups of the proper way to do it.