PDA

View Full Version : Oil and coolant mix in turbo intake tube?

rc1honda
01-26-2017, 10:00 PM
2871r
Sr20
New stroker build
Turbo was rebuilt before installed
Car runs good but has always smoked bad, compression good 130 on new build

TL/DR -Is it the turbo or the head gasket or the oil rings?

Ok so I've been chasing my tail for the better part of 6 months now.

Put a 90mm SR swap in. Car runs good but smoked. Light blue and white but heavy. So it being light blue figure it must be oil. Compression is good. Car smokes constantly. At idle, driving, and in boost.

So I took the head off and checked valve seals. All good. New head gasket. Get it running still smokes. Light blue and white. I think it's gotta be oil still.

Cars runs good but smokes like a bitch again light blue and white. Talk to a builder and he tells me everything else being good it must but the oil rings on the pistons. Catch can is dry.

So My last drive and the engine gets really hot. There was no fucking coolant left. Thught it must of been a leak. Fill the radiator and the theromostat open and it's like old faithful out of my radiator. Literally. Car still runs good still smokes.

Figure fuck this. I'll get these pistons re ringed.

Well today I go to pull the motor and find oil and coolant mixed in the turbo intake tube. I've never seen this before. Never found a coolant leak but this thing burned away a good 2 gallons of coolant.

Now the turbo was rebuilt before I installed the motor. Turbo was fine but I wanted peace of mind so had it done.

My question is can it be a bad a turbo seal causing the smoke? It obviously getting a mix of oil and coolant in the intake tube. Would a bad head gasket cause this or bad turbo seals?

Is it possible I switched the lines on the turbo? Would that cause the problem?

Like I said car runs good. But smokes like a MF.

Any ideas, suggestions or vitriol welcome.

Anyone seen this before?

What I found

https://imgur.com/a/4uwGM

https://i.imgur.com/1fWqwI8.jpg

Black240Ct
01-26-2017, 10:38 PM
not sure if its related but my SR was sucking up coolant also. Did it for about a year worth of track days. ended up detonating my cylinder #4 and burning up my head gaskets that allowed coolant into areas coolant shouldnt be.

rc1honda
01-26-2017, 11:17 PM
not sure if its related but my SR was sucking up coolant also. Did it for about a year worth of track days. ended up detonating my cylinder #4 and burning up my head gaskets that allowed coolant into areas coolant shouldnt be.

Could be. The block is sleeved so coolant might getting around the sleeves of something. I just can't think of a way coolant is on the intake.

gaz_moose
01-27-2017, 12:18 PM
you could try plugging the turbo coolant lines at the block to eliminate having a cracked turbo core causing the oil/water mixing.you can just leave them connected at the turbo and leave them dangling. don't go fucking wild when driving it around like this if its a ball bearing cartridge turbo.but then it could be a crack opening up when hot.

does it have the oil/water heat exchanger above the oil filter? ive known those to crack inside and cause mixing.