PDA

View Full Version : it just wont start

88b20crx
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
ok, heres the low down. just installed a new KA into my homies car and it wont start.
we have spark because we pulled the plug out with the wire and grounded it and they all sparked.
We have fuel because not only can we smell it but i tested the resistance of each injector and all injectors clicked when you turn the distributor when its out of the car and ignition is on.
We have compression because we stuffed rags in the spark plug holes in the valve cover and they all shot out.
we have timing as far as i know, because we put the piston at TDC on itscompression stroke, and we slid the distributo in so after it turns it lines up with the # One tower on the cap.

we baught the new engine from a place called atarco and it looks like the timing chain is on there propper. so what the HELL? :wtf:

sr240mike
10-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Is the ecu throwing any codes? Also, It wont take much compression to shoot a rag out of the holes. Try using a compression tester if you get your hands on one.

Kid Zelda
10-06-2004, 05:01 PM
You're not on the compression stroke.
try again

88b20crx
10-06-2004, 05:05 PM
the ecu is throwing 11, 12 21 and 34. we did the whole diagnosis from the FSM with our DMM and everything came out supperb. i will try a compression tester tomarrow. and yes i will try the timing again. also! ive been searching and i keep getting mixed answers on the cap does the order go as followed

---2---
-1---4-
---3--- remind you itsa 91 KA.

88b20crx
10-06-2004, 08:40 PM
cmon bros need some help throw me a frickin bone here scott

idlafie
10-07-2004, 03:31 AM
the ecu is throwing 11, 12 21 and 34. we did the whole diagnosis from the FSM with our DMM and everything came out supperb. i will try a compression tester tomarrow. and yes i will try the timing again. also! ive been searching and i keep getting mixed answers on the cap does the order go as followed

---2---
-1---4-
---3--- remind you itsa 91 KA.

Spark plug wires look to be in the right spot. Checked your fuses to see they are all okay?? Both underneath the hood & on the driverside kickpanel.
ECU codes...
11 = Camshaft Position Sensor
12 = Mass Airflow Sensor -
Codes 11 & 12 - check your ECCS Relay...make sure you are getting power out. It's the relay behind the ECU on the passenger side kickpanel. Check the ground wires also while you are at it.
21 = Ignition Signal - Primary = Ignition Coil & Power Transistor = possibly a bad distributor???
Download a FSM & read up on the diagnostic procedures to figure out if your distributor is bad...
http://ffdet.com/members/rich/Manuals/240sx-93/
Click on 240sx-93.zip after the page loads....and be prepared to wait a while...you're downloading a big ass file
34 = Knock Sensor...you can ignore this code...More than half the 240sx's I've worked on kick this code....engine still starts & runs fine. Probably a bad ground wire.

Try rechecking your ground wires...make sure you run a ground wire between the engine block and the rear firewall.
Anyhow, hope this helps...good luck with getting the engine started...
ID
'95 SE

240Stilo
10-07-2004, 03:38 AM
Perhaps it's the starter or battery.

88b20crx
10-07-2004, 03:03 PM
ya, ill check that eccs relay. ive pretty much givin up though. me and my homie have been staying up till 4 in the morning everyday for the past week trying to figure this shit out. i already have the FSM and did every test up to the point to where it tells you to warm up the car! Ya i cant! and another thing. when i put the #1 piston at TDC on compression and i go to install the distributor, do i line up the hole in the gear shaft with the notch on the dist. shaft then slap that biotch on and ignore that when it rotates its no longer lining up with the #1 tower on the cap?

XXX4life
10-18-2004, 07:37 PM
did you ever figure it out? this sounds like the same thing happening on my 91 motor i just put in, i have spark, fuel and compression but won't start, i'm praying that the distributor is put in wrong

2240sx's
12-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Jeez, I hate to dig up old bones but did EITHER one of you guys figure it out? I have the same issue except no codes are being thrown. TDC and the rotor on #1. Did you have to align the dot with the notch on the tower? My god someone help!