PDA

View Full Version : Ignition code / key code question

bimmerlover
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I've tried a search for "ignition code" and "key code," but came up with meager results. I need to make a new copy of my car key for my S14, but I don't want them to copy the original as it's already worn. I'd like to know where I can find the ignition code, or the key code for that matter. One of the search results mentioned that the key code would be grafted into the glovebox, but it's not there. Thanks for any help guys.

s13driver
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
i know they(dealer) suppose give you a tag with the code on it when you buy a new car. but i don't think they will grafted into the glovebox. i also heard that they can decode you VIN and look up that keycode for you as well. but the last time i went to the local dealer and try to make a copy, they said they can only do it with the code and nothing else.

projectRDM
10-06-2004, 08:07 PM
1992 and newer cars are logged in with the VIN. Show them a copy of the tag receipt and they'll cut you a key using the code.

bimmerlover
10-06-2004, 10:43 PM
I've found that the key code starts with "X," followed by three numbers. I've noticed that my key had letters and numbers on it. Here's a pic:

http://members.roadfly.com/laina/key.JPG

Could that possibly be the code? Thanks.

projectRDM
10-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Not with that key. Ilco doesn't make the OE key, and I'm pretty certain it's not stamped on the original key at all.