PDA

View Full Version : NVCS in all SR20's?

matts127
12-23-2016, 02:15 PM
I have had a 240 in the past that was a bit to far gone to do much with so I sold it and I am now in the process of getting another one and I am set on the SR swap. I am currently looking for a set of cams for it and I have settled on the 256/256 11.5 Poncams. I asked TOMEI the difference between the two one was [R]PS13 and the other being the S14,S15. They said if my SR has NVCS to use the s14/s15 yet if I have a s13 SR to use the s13 option. So if I am getting a normal SR20DET whether it be black top red ect will every SR20DET made have NVCS or do only certain years have it. I would hate to buy the wrong cam but info on this subject seems hard to find. :confused::confused::confused:

zombiewolf513
12-23-2016, 02:36 PM
What are referred to as quote "redtop" and "blacktop" motors are all essentially the same s13 motor with some minor revisions; blacktop being newer.

As far as NVCS, only the s14/15 motors came with that despite being in production at the same time as 'blacktop' s13 motors.

All that being said- I highly preferred what the Jim Wolf Technology s3 cams offered on what was essentially a stock blacktop SR over tomei, personally. and I'm a HUGE tomei guy.

I too am debating a new set of cams on a recent redtop sr20 install. This time I might go with JWT s4 despite having a gt2871r again. I might eventually want to go to a t3 turbo, so having a slightly more aggressive cam now is better than another purchase or an under-performing cam down the road.

for future reference, this is a good place for small questions:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=297481

You must use the search button, young zilvian.

Congrats on your first post and good luck.

bardabe
12-24-2016, 12:20 AM
fucking Florida....

jedi03
12-24-2016, 09:44 PM
s13 does not have it...whether it be red or black top...only the newer engines do, its basically variable timing for the intake cam

matts127
12-25-2016, 08:01 AM
s13 does not have it...whether it be red or black top...only the newer engines do, its basically variable timing for the intake cam

Thank you for a helpful response, I have also learned how to identify it by the shape of the intake area of the head.