PDA

View Full Version : Honda or VE for my new project.

Teigen
12-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Hello all

I'm here for a simple question, I am not here for any fanboys or other information.

I want answers from the tech people, and If you have no other experience than reading forums and use bolt-ons and chips, do not reply.

I've done a couple turbo builds, my latest project is 85% done, and will join the other projects in storage after its been raced 2017 summer.

I'm already starting to sketch up a plan for the next project.
It will be a light weight, space/tubeframe chassis, but what engine?

If Naturally aspired,

Honda or VE?
first, which breathes best? ported ofc.
What have most high-end/ race spec aftermarket parts?

If turbo

Honda or VE?

Which handles antilag/launchcontrol best? (valvetrain reability)

Obviously the engine will run drysump, sleeves etc.

I know the Honda had alot more aftermarket parts in the early years, but I dont know which engine is most supported these days?

Norwegian - my english is shit, deal with it

bardabe
12-11-2016, 06:58 PM
B,H, or K series? What kinda of racing & power levels?

Teigen
12-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Havent been looking much on the Hondas, but the K series looks promising

The car wil run in the gatebil Extreme series and other Timeattack. Power depending on the weight of the car. It will atleast be 600 or more. And most likely boosted if I build for this class.
my latest car is 780kg and 502 whp, its perfect but the new project most likely will be a little heavier

jr_ss
12-12-2016, 07:42 AM
The nice thing about Honda motors, are the heads. They flow very well from the factory. I just saw a post on moto-iq about someone making 500hp out of a K27(stroked K24) naturally aspirated, which is insane. I'm not saying a VE can't make those numbers, but it would require extensive work and probably quite a bit of R&D to accomplish that.

An F20/22c is a factory forged (Honda) motor and with a little bit of boost will make well into the 600's although it's a RWD layout and you're probably more interested in a transverse setup for rear engine.

A properly built VE setup can handle 600whp, but it's the transmission/transaxle that you'll be fighting with at that point. My motor is nothing special, rwd DET bottomend(forged rods/pistons) with a factory head/casting/ports/cams and I'm at 485rwhp on 93oct. There's room left in it for more and if I wanted to get crazy, there is port/bowl work to increase power output.

Ultimately, do what's cost effective and easy to acquire. Take into consideration replacement parts or the lack there of.

Teigen
12-12-2016, 08:20 AM
The nice thing about Honda motors, are the heads. They flow very well from the factory. I just saw a post on moto-iq about someone making 500hp out of a K27(stroked K24) naturally aspirated, which is insane. I'm not saying a VE can't make those numbers, but it would require extensive work and probably quite a bit of R&D to accomplish that.

An F20/22c is a factory forged (Honda) motor and with a little bit of boost will make well into the 600's although it's a RWD layout and you're probably more interested in a transverse setup for rear engine.

A properly built VE setup can handle 600whp, but it's the transmission/transaxle that you'll be fighting with at that point. My motor is nothing special, rwd DET bottomend(forged rods/pistons) with a factory head/casting/ports/cams and I'm at 485rwhp on 93oct. There's room left in it for more and if I wanted to get crazy, there is port/bowl work to increase power output.

Ultimately, do what's cost effective and easy to acquire. Take into consideration replacement parts or the lack there of.

Yes, yes and yes.

Ideal is to choose the engine that is easy to source for raw spares, like head and block, maybe crankshaft as well.
Both is nothing found here in Norway/scandinavia, so either have to be ordered from Asia or other markets, so its 50%50

I did some wild power in an SR20, it reached over 900 rwhp, but I know it would never have survived that without the sleeves replaced with darton. I saw the same FB post as you, thats what got me thinking of a K engine. Really is some good design in those engines.

Even with just 600 whp I considering to do a sleeving, to be safe. At least if I use the SR20 engine, the block is literally shit. :picardfp:

Juan@Fontananissan
12-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Yes, yes and yes.

Ideal is to choose the engine that is easy to source for raw spares, like head and block, maybe crankshaft as well.
Both is nothing found here in Norway/scandinavia, so either have to be ordered from Asia or other markets, so its 50%50

I did some wild power in an SR20, it reached over 900 rwhp, but I know it would never have survived that without the sleeves replaced with darton. I saw the same FB post as you, thats what got me thinking of a K engine. Really is some good design in those engines.

Even with just 600 whp I considering to do a sleeving, to be safe. At least if I use the SR20 engine, the block is literally shit. :picardfp:

Honestly for a 600WHP road race engine the SR20 is going to need a TON of work. they cooling on the block will suffer quite a bit, getting a transaxle that will hold the power will also be a huge problem. I would personally urge you to do a long rod K20, sleeved with a ported head and WPC'd everything. Honda did a phenomenal job engineering their K-series I believe it will be far more reliable than a VVL dollar for dollar.