PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det wont start without starter fluid

Sidewayz240'
12-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Hey guys whats up . I know i know , search the forums right ? I did so lets move on with this thread 👍. So i have a stock s13 redtop sr with a megan turbo mani , downpipe and cxracing fmic. So as the title says im having trouble with my sr starting. If i spray a little starter fluid in it it will fire right ul and run like a champ. Sometimes it will even catch on the second crank like a normal car. But the majority of the time i either have to spray a little fluid in there or bump start it. I do have 12 volts going to orange wire on ecu before startup. Fuel pump is priming . I obviously have spark and fuel because the car will run beautifully once started. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and btw i have a new z32 fuel filter so i know my filter inst all clogged up.. and i also have a new walboro 255 so i know its doing its job..

jedi03
12-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Mine does this as well...could be grounds or fpr...usually letting my fuel system prime for a little before I start it helps...

Sidewayz240'
12-03-2016, 05:53 PM
What grounds could it be ? I ussually let it prime until i dont hear the pump anymore ( about 5 sec after turning key) i just now went out turned the key and let it sit for a good 15 -20 sec and boom it started right up. I will see if the same thing works tomaro morning. Thank you.

KAT-PWR
12-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Check the sending unit in the rear of the car, common area for issues to develope

Sidewayz240'
12-06-2016, 01:55 PM
So priming it longer isnt doing the job anymore.. what would i be checking the sending unit for ? Doesnt it just see power and start the pump ? Its definitely priming. And it runs so im jus stumped as to how it could be a fuel problem..

ools
12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
It doesn't sound too fuel related, and if it is you can check in the engine bay with rental tools.

Sounds like it may be weak spark or inadequate incoming air.

Have you checked coils/plugs/wires/air filter?

Weak spark is also evident in lower power/bogging.

Also, check vacuum lines.

If all else fails it could mean that cold compression has been lost.

Tbone240
12-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Are the plugs getting wet with fuel after cranking? If not make sure fuel lines are not reversed. Also i had 4 injectors fail on me before so it could be that lol

510skater
12-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Double check the Orange wire again. I just solved a hard starting problem and found the orange wire had power on one side of the dash harness but had a broken connection before reaching the ECU.

kyral
12-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Are the plugs getting wet with fuel after cranking? If not make sure fuel lines are not reversed. Also i had 4 injectors fail on me before so it could be that lol

Read the Original post and youll find that his fuel lines cant be hooked up backwards because the car will start and continue running after the use of starting fluid. PPL need to stop suggesting this when its definitely not the problem

Try adjust the ignitiong timming a few degrees at a time, I had and am having the same issue and it seemed to get better when I played with the ignition timing

Jorgs_7
12-08-2016, 03:09 PM
My buddy had EXACT sounding scenario, S13 SR in a S13 vert

would run with some jungle juice or a bump start, but cranking was a no go. When it ran, it ran great.

He said he "bypassed his ignition switch, wired in a couple kill switches and a push button start, and made sure the batch fire wire was getting 12v when cranking"

Problem was resolved

Sidewayz240'
12-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Ive tried messing with ign timing but it still wouldnt catch..

Sidewayz240'
12-12-2016, 07:17 PM
I have noticed when its warm it catches 80 % of the time..

metako42
12-13-2016, 12:50 AM
The SR20DET idle control System is a complex beast and I'm having my own issues with it but the fact that it starts better when warm might mean the cold start part of the iacv with the temperature sensitive wax in it might not be working properly. Have you adjusted the idle using the factory method?

S-Verteen
12-13-2016, 09:48 AM
If you pull the fuel rail all four injectors should pulse at the same time while cranking priming the engine to start. That is the orange wire 510 was speaking of and should only have power while cranking I believe!:bigok:

kyral
12-18-2016, 09:02 AM
If you pull the fuel rail all four injectors should pulse at the same time while cranking priming the engine to start. That is the orange wire 510 was speaking of and should only have power while cranking I believe!:bigok:

Do you know what ecu pin that is? I didn't know anything about this wire!

e1_griego
12-18-2016, 09:38 AM
It's the orange wire that runs off the plug for the dash harness.